Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on February 20, 2009 1:46 PM
AYDEN -- Spring Creek pushed top-seeded Ayden-Grifton to overtime on Thursday night, but dropped a 57-47 loss in semifinal-round action of the Class 1-A Carolina Conference boys' basketball tournament.
The Chargers' Donta Atkinson hit a running, left-handed layup in the closing seconds of regulation to force overtime. Ayden-Grifton outscored the Gators 15-5 in the extra session.
Anthony Green led Spring Creek with 20 points. Melvin DeVeaux added 11 points, seven rebounds and four steals. Lucas Potter provided eight points and 14 rebounds.
"I am extremely proud of our guys tonight," said first-year Gators head coach Taylor Jones. "I cannot put into words the pride that I had for my guys tonight and the effort they showed on the road to come so close to winning."
STOKESDALE -- Faith Christian's run through the N.C. Christian Schools Athletic Association 2-A state playoffs was halted with a 38-24 loss to New Manna in the quarterfinal round at Oak Level Christian School on Thursday evening.
The Conquerors tied the game at 19-19 in the third quarter, but were plagued by turnovers and empty possesions. FCA scored just five points the rest of the way.
Alyssa Hill scored 10 points and grabbed eight rebounds for Faith Christian, which concluded the year 13-7 overall. Madison Caudle and Rebecca Smith added five points apiece.
* Girls' basketball: Cape Fear Christian 42, Wayne Christian 32 -- Courtney Barrow led the Eagles with 12 points to go with six rebounds. Brooke Barfield supplied nine points and five steals and Britney O'hara had 10 rebounds. Katie Isenhower added eight rebounds. Wayne Christian finished the season at 13-3.
* Boys' basketball: Faith Christian Rocky Mount 70, Wayne Country Day 50 -- Jordan Perry scored a team-high 30 points but it wasn't enough as the Chargers fell in the semifinals of the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference tournament. Zach Phillips added seven points.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series