Anderson takes league series from Mount Olive
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on February 23, 2009 1:48 PM
MOC Sports Information
ANDERSON, S.C. -- The streak ends at 19.
For two-plus seasons, Mount Olive College had controlled every Conference Carolinas baseball series it played ... until Sunday afternoon.
Alex Vertcnik and Rich Racobaldo ripped back-to-back, ninth-inning home runs but Anderson held on for a 10-6 victory and handed Mount Olive its first conference-series loss since 2006. The Trojans, ranked No. 7 in the latest Division II Ping! Baseball poll, tumbled to 3-3 against league opposition this season.
Mount Olive committed a season-high five errors on Sunday and 12 total in the three-game series. A fourth-inning miscue and a failed pickoff attempt in the seventh inning helped Anderson take control.
Kevin Kearney homered for the Trojans in the second inning.
Racobaldo's ninth-inning blast gave him five home runs in a three-game stretch and six overall for the season.
Patrick Ball (1-2) took the mound loss for MOC.
The Trojans return to action Tuesday and Wednesday with single, nine-inning games at USC Aiken. First pitch is 6 p.m. on Tuesday and 4 p.m. on Wednesday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series