Pirates earn series sweep
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on February 23, 2009 1:48 PM
Stephen Batts collected four hits and two RBI as No. 27-ranked East Carolina defeated Monmouth 9-2 at Lewis Field inside Clark-LeClair Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
The senior left fielder finished the three-game series with nine hits, three RBI, six runs scored and three stolen bases. The Pirates (3-0 overall) pounded out 38 hits and outscored the Hawks 27-7 during the weekend.
Sophomore Sthil Sowers earned the mound win in relief of starter Mike Anderson. Sowers, a North Lenoir graduate, yielded three hits and fanned one Monmouth batter in 1 2/3 innings of work.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series