Wayne Country Day boys take second
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on February 23, 2009 1:48 PM
ROCKY MOUNT -- Josh Gregory converted one free throw with 0.3 seconds remaining, but missed his second attempt as Greenfield escaped Wayne Country Day 76-75 in the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference tournament final Saturday evening.
All-tournament and all-CPIC selection Tim Hobbs led the Chargers with a double-double -- 20 points, 11 rebounds. Reco McCarter pumped in 30 points, and was named to the all-tournament and all-CPIC squads.
Floronta Wynn garnered all-CPIC recognition, while Gregory was an honorable mention all-CPIC choice.
The Chargers (20-12 overall) received an at-large bid and drew the No. 6 seed for the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association playoffs, which begin Tuesday. WCDS entertains at-large selection Hobgood Academy at 7:30 p.m.
Information on the girls' game was not available, but WCDS successfully defended its title for the second straight year against Kerr-Vance. The Chargers are the top seed in the NCISAA playoffs and welcome Trinity-Durham on Tuesday. Game time is 6 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series