By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on February 24, 2009 1:47 PM
KENANSVILLE -- James Kenan stormed back from an eight-point halftime deficit and defeated Topsail 57-54 overtime during the opening round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A playoffs on Monday evening.
Alex Monk scored a game-high 21 points and 10 rebounds to pace the Tiger's offense. Dasmine Smith added 10 points. Dontrill Hyman finished with seven points and seven rebounds in the victory.
James Kenan (11-9 overall) advances to play East Bladen (10-11) on Wednesday. The Eagles knocked off top-seeded Ayden-Grifton in the opening round.
TRENTON -- Princeton saw its playoff run come to an abrupt end at Jones Senior on Monday night. The Trojans used a 31-point third quarter to bury the Dawgs 87-47 victory in theirN.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A first-round game.
Quinton McKitchen led Jones' balanced attack with 12 points. Covair Frost added nine points.
David Gurganus paced the Princeton offense with 11 points. Kwame Corprew added seven points. Andre Nixon finished with four points and a team-high 12 rebounds.
The Dawgs concluded the year 10-17 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series