Kearney drives in two runs during Trojans' loss
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on February 25, 2009 1:46 PM
AIKEN, S.C. -- Kevin Kearney pounded out two hits and delivered two RBI as No. 15-ranked Mount Olive College dropped a 5-3, non-conference baseball decision to USC Aiken on Tuesday evening.
It was a rematch of last year's Division II South Atlantic Regional championship, won by the Trojans.
Kyle Hinrichs, Montoya Young and Jesse Lancaster each provided two hits for MOC. Lancaster doubled and supplied an RBI as Mount Olive dropped to 6-7 in road contests this season.
Airlon Vinson doubled and scored twice in four at-bats.
The Trojans turned two double plays defensively and Vinson notched 11 putouts at first base. Young grabbed four putouts in center field and second baseman Dylan Holton logged four assists.
David Travis (1-2) suffered the mound loss. He surrendered three earned runs on eight hits and two walks in five-plus innings. Craig Beasley contributed two-plus innings of three-hit, two-strikeout relief.
Mount Olive (10-7 overall) faces USCA again today and returns home for a three-game, Conference Carolinas series this weekend against in-state member St. Andrews.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series