Nolan paces Charger swimmers at state meet
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on February 26, 2009 1:46 PM
RALEIGH -- Wayne Country Day senior Will Nolan exploded off his turn and finished fifth among 88 competitors in 50-yard freestyle during the 2009 N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association Classes 1-A/2-A swimming championships contested at Pullen Park.
"I was so proud of Will's performance ... our first points scored at the state championships," said WCDS coach Bonnie Hunter. "Most swimmers who place at the state level train year around with US swimming programs, while Will only trains with the WCDS team."
Nolan took 11th in the 100 free with a time of 56.28.
Thomas Elmore swam a personal-best mark in the 100 free.
Thomas Yarboro, Ravi Chittilla and Walker Malphrus swam on the 200 medley and free relays.
"Both relays finished with times much improved from the regular-season competitions," said Hunter.
Ellen Elmore and Rebecca Thompson competed on the girls' side. Individual results were not available.
"Both girls showed sportsmanship and leadership throughout the season that set an example for our younger swimmers," said Hunter.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series