Trojans split series with USC-Aiken
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on February 26, 2009 1:46 PM
AIKEN, S.C. -- Rich Racobaldo swatted a fourth-inning home run as No. 15-ranked Mount Olive College blanked USC Aiken 3-0 to salvage a split in their two-game, non-conference series on Wednesday.
Racobaldo, a senior infielder, has ripped a team-leading seven homers this season.
The teams combined for just 11 hits. Mount Olive starter Brent Haynes (2-1) surrendered seven hits in a seven-inning stint and logged two strikeouts. Ryan Kussmaul provided two innings of no-hit, two-strikeout relief for his first save of the season.
The Pacers (5-8 overall) stranded eight runners in scoring position, including leaving the bases loaded in the eighth inning against Kussmaul.
Racobaldo's fourth-inning blast occurred with two outs and Alex Vertcnik aboard. Jonathan Smith plated Airlon Vinson with a fifth-inning, two-out sacrifice fly to account for the Trojans' third run.
Vinson and Jesse Lancaster added one hit apiece for MOC.
The Trojans (11-7) return home Saturday for a Conference Carolinas doubleheader against in-state rival St. Andrews. First pitch is noon at Scarborough Field.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series