No. 1 Chargers rout Statesville
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on February 27, 2009 1:46 PM
CHARLOTTE -- Freshman point guard Catherine Ford collected a game-high 19 points and No. 1-ranked Wayne Country Day throttled Statesville Christian 56-34 in the quarterfinals of the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association 1-A women's basketball playoffs Thursday.
The top-seeded Chargers (25-2 overall) face defending state champion Trinity Christian at 4 p.m. today at Charlotte Latin School.
Senior Brooke Norris contributed 12 points, while senior center Bridgette Briggs contributed nine points and 14 rebounds. Statesville played a box-and-one defense on Briggs, then switched to a triangle-and-two on Norris and Briggs. Neither scheme worked.
Kim Martell knocked down eight points. Sarah Best, Mack Thompson and Shelle Anderson also scratched in the scoring column.
WCDS converted 21 of 47 field goals and 8 of 13 free throws.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series