Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 11, 2009 1:46 PM
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Paul Hayes allowed just one run over four innings to pick up the win on the mound as Spring Creek defeated non-conference foe South Lenoir 9-3 on Tuesday afternoon.
Lucas Potter went 3-for-4 at the plate with two RBI, and Duane Gurganus added a pair of hits and two RBI. Eric Evansland and Cory Howell each provided two hits.
Hayes tacked on a three-run double.
The Gators (3-1 overall) visit Midway on Friday.
CALYPSO -- North Duplin erupted for five runs in the sixth inning and cruised to a 10-0, non-conference victory over Union on Tuesday afternoon.
Winning pitcher Brian Chase scattered four hits over six scoreless innings to go with four strikeouts and one walk on the mound.
Clint Thigpen led the Rebels' offensive attack with two hits, two RBI, a stolen base and three runs scored. Will Lanier supplied two hits and an RBI, while Chase had a hit and an RBI.
Shayne Deaver and Marcus Kornegay both went 1-for-3 with an RBI. Zack McCarty, Konner Brock and James Kornegay each went 1-for-3 with a run scored.
North Duplin (1-2 overall) visits Goldsboro today.
RW outlasts Fike
WILSON -- Will Beasley singled home the go-ahead run and Matt Neal pitched a complete game as Rosewood outlasted Wilson Fike 2-1 on Tuesday.
Neal allowed one earned run on four hits and recorded three strikeouts. He helped his cause offensively with a double and a run scored. Taylor Price was 2-for-3 with an RBI.
Steven Bostic scored the game-winning run on Beasley's single.
Rams edge Vikings
KINSTON -- Wes Sowers tossed 2 2/3 innings of scoreless relief as Greene Central earned a 7-5, non-conference road win at Kinston on Tuesday.
Alex Brann went 1-for-3 with two RBI for the Rams. Jasper Jones worked 2/3 of an inning of no-hit relief to earn the save.
Greene Central (3-0 overall) visits Ayden-Grifton at 4:30 on Thursday.
SW pounds WC
VANCEBORO -- Southern Wayne rolled to a 22-1, non-conference win at West Craven on Tuesday.
Phil Howell collected his second win of the season on the mound.
Jordan Williams led the Saints' offense with a 5-for-5 performance at the plate. Michael Douglas and Tyler Edwards each contributed three hits. Jordan Hood, Keenan Winn and Kevin Wise all had two hits.
Southern Wayne (3-2 overall) begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play Thursday at Wilson Beddingfield. Game time is 5 p.m.
HENDERSON -- Wayne Christian rallied from a 10-7 deficit after three innings for a 16-12 victory at Crossroads Christian on Tuesday.
Kayla Kennedy picked up the win on the mound in relief.
Sarah McCollum hit a towering 230-foot home run for the Eagles. Kennedy and Reagan Hinton each went 3-for-5 at the plate.
Wayne Christian (1-0 overall) visits Fayetteville Christian on March 17.
Errors plague ND
CALYPSO -- North Duplin committed seven errors and struggled to generate offense in a 19-0, non-conference loss to Union on Tuesday.
Alonna Pate went 2-for-3 for the Rebels. Skylar McCarty, Ashley Cartwright and Caitlin Davis each collected hits.
North Duplin (1-2 overall) travels to Lakewood on Friday.
HENDERSON -- Brooke Barfield found the back of the net three times and Wayne Christian opened its season with a 3-1 win at Crossroads Christian on Tuesday afternoon.
The Eagles outshot Crossroads 10-1 in the second half.
Wayne Christian (1-0-0 overall) visits Cresset Christian on Thursday.
Falcons cant' stop Fike
PIKEVILLE -- Wilson Fike handed Charles B. Aycock an 8-0 non-conference loss on Tuesday afternoon.
The Golden Falcons (1-1-1) host Rosewood at 5 p.m. today.
CBA tops WB
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock cruised to a 9-0, season-opening victory over Wilson Beddingfield on Tuesday afternoon.
Blake Vail, Addison Westbrook, Ben Nichols, Dylan Quinn, Kareem Alawar and Rex Rose were each victorious in singles play for the Golden Falcons.
The Golden Falcons swept all three doubles matches.
C.B. Aycock entertains Southern Nash today.
Wayne Christian dropped a 5-4 decision to Faith of Rocky Mount on Tuesday.
Christopher Easom, Woody Sasser and Matt Thompson each earned singles wins for the Eagles. The team of Taylor Gray-Daniel Glover recorded the lone doubles point for Wayne Christian.
Rams blank Eagles
Greene Central cruised to a 9-0, non-conference win at Rosewood on Tuesday afternoon.
Eric Simmons, Colby Chase, Andrew Harrison, Jason Perry, Hunter Thigpen and Dillon Lee each collected singles wins for the Rams.
The doubles teams of Simmons-Chase, Harrison-Perry and Thigpen-Lee were victorious in doubles play.
Greene Central (3-0 overall) plays host to Rocky Mount on Thursday.
WCS wins opener
SMITHFIELD -- Wayne Christian compiled a team score of 183 pick up a season-opening win over Smithfield-Selma and Nash Central on Tuesday at Johnston Country Club.
Smithfield-Selma fired a 187 and Nash Central finished with a 196.
Bradley Yelverton and Davis Taylor led the Eagles with rounds of 45. James Kornegay followed with a 46. Taylor Gardner added a 47 and Bryston Tart had a 57.
Wayne Christian opens Carolina Christian 1-A Conference play on Monday at Northwood Temple in Fayetteville.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 10, Kerr-Vance -- Greg Johnson, Jordan Crouthamel and Chase Darden each recorded two hits for the Eagles. Johnson picked up the win on the mound in relief striking out five and not surrendering a hit.
* Baseball: Eastern Wayne 11, South Central 7 -- Nolan James doubled in three at-bats and drove in two runs. Zack Mozingo added two hits. Logan Wicks earned the mound win. The Warriors (1-0 overall) entertain South Central on Thursday.
* Baseball: North Lenoir 8, C.B. Aycock 5 -- Mick Walker doubled in a 2-for-3, one-RBI outing for the Golden Falcons. Jeff Davis added two hits and two RBI. Travis Musselman and Aaron Champion (RBI) supplied one hit apiece, while Musselman swiped a base. C.B. Aycock (3-1 overall) entertains Princeton at 5 p.m. today.
* Baseball: Grantham 21, Spring Creek 2 -- Thomas Kelly went 4-for-5 at the plate and hit for the cycle for Grantham (1-0). Taylor Raynor added three hits. Ashton Cox went 3-for-3 with a triple and picked up the win on the mound.
* Softball: Mount Olive 18, Greenwood 8 -- Starlyn Simmons led Mount Olive with four hits and Morgan Best added two hits. Haley Ferrera and Ali Eakes contributed a hit apiece. Greenwood (1-0) hosts Spring Creek on Thursday.
* Girls Soccer: Eastern Wayne 3, Grantham 1 -- Ann Read Hulse, Lindsey Lloyd, Lindsey Underwood each scored for Eastern Wayne. Destinee Gardner added an assist for the Warriors. Hermarie Rodriguez scored the lone goal for Grantham. Eastern Wayne visits Rosewood on March 16 while Grantham hosts Rosewood on March 18.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series