Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 13, 2009 1:46 PM
Lindsey Frederick's game-winning RBI double scored Casey Mitchell as Eastern Wayne outlasted West Carteret 3-2 in 12 innings on Thursday afternoon in New Hope.
Frederick finished 4-for-6 at the plate with an RBI and a run scored. Morgan Smith supplied three hits. Mitchell, Caitlyn Turner and Carissa Turner each had two hits for the Warriors.
Lani Fricks went the distance, striking out nine and giving up two runs on nine hits.
Weather permitting, Eastern Wayne (3-1 overall) plays host to Princeton at 4:30 p.m. today.
GREENVILLE -- D.H. Conley converted nine of 13 walks into runs and rolled past Southern Wayne 18-0 in five innings on Thursday evening.
Vikings right-hander Sarah Christian hurled a no-hitter and logged five strikeouts in the mercy rule-shortened game. Conley also turned a 1-2-3, second-inning double play to keep the Saints off the scoreboard.
Weather permitting, Southern Wayne (3-1 overall) begins defense of its co-Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season title today at Wilson Beddingfield.
DURHAM -- Brooke Barfield scored three times and Wayne Christian picked up a 3-1 win at Carolina Christian 1-A foe Cresset Christian on Thursday.
The Eagles limited Cresset to just three shots on goal.
Wayne Christian (2-0-0 overall, 2-0 CCC) entertains Epiphany today.
WILSON -- Southern Wayne routed Wilson Beddingfield 13-3 in the Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference baseball opener for both teams Thursday.
Zach Grantham turned in a 2-for-5 performance at the plate for the Saints with a home run and two RBI. Scott Holloman was 2-for-3 with three RBI. Keenan Winn and Jordan Hood both tacked on a pair of hits.
Tyler Edwards went 1-for-3 with four runs scored.
Michael Douglas surrendered three earned runs on six hits, struck out seven Bruin batters and walked one in six innings. Will Broadwell tossed a perfect seventh.
Southern Wayne (4-2 overall, 1-0 ECC) visits Eastern Wayne on Tuesday.
EW rallies to win
GREENVILLE -- Eastern Wayne trailed South Central 4-0 entering the fifth inning before claimed a 10-4, non-conference win at Clark-LeClair Stadium on the East Carolina campus.
Jose Ponce batted 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Warriors. ECU signee Walker Gourley added a triple and two RBI. Zack Beachem went 1-for-2 with two RBI, while Colton Fulghum and Robert Faucette each had RBI.
Beachem provided three scoreless innings of two-hit relief while striking out two to earn the win on the mound.
Weather permitting, Eastern Wayne (3-0 overall) entertains J.H. Rose at 5 p.m. today.
Gators win thriller
SPIVEY'S CORNER -- Steven Best delivered the game-winning hit as Spring Creek rallied past Midway, 3-2 in eight innings on Thursday.
Dontay Boseman trotted home on Best's single.
Ricky Brayboy's two-RBI, seventh-inning single tied the game at 2-2.
Duane Gurganus pitched the final three innings of scoreless relief.
Spring Creek (4-2 overall) welcomes Eastern Wayne on Monday.
Road unkind to Rams
AYDEN -- Greene Central suffered a 2-1, non-conference defeat at Ayden-Grifton on Thursday.
Steven McDonald recorded the Rams' lone run on a solo homer.
Jasper Jones suffered the mound loss, allowing one run on two hits to go along with six strikeouts. The Chargers drew three walks against Jones, who pitched 4 2/3 innings.
The Rams (3-1 overall) visit Charles B. Aycock at 5 p.m. today.
Wayne Christian opened its season with a 30-5 pounding of Carolina Christian 1-A rival Cresset Christian in five innings on Thursday afternoon.
Kyle Harrell (two RBI) and Dante Arthur (three RBI) each homered for the Eagles, and finished with three hits apiece.
Jordan Crouthamel added three hits and two RBI. Travis Thomas and Stephen Gallagher provided two hits each. Dominique Arthur contributed a home run.
Wayne Christian (1-0 overall, 1-0 CCC) travels Village Christian on Monday.
Bruins stop Saints
WILSON -- Southern Wayne dropped its Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opener 6-3 at Wilson Beddingfield on Thursday.
Kobi Hood, Cameron Thames and Bradon Outlaw each earned a singles win for the Saints.
Hawks clip Eagles
North Lenoir slipped past Rosewood 5-4 in non-conference play on Thursday afternoon.
Cole Radcliff, Matt Binda and Zack Behrend each collected singles wins for the Eagles. The doubles team of Jonathan Rudolph-Antonio Henriques was also victorious for Rosewood.
The Eagles visit North Lenoir on Tuesday.
CBA routs Kinston
KINSTON -- Charles B. Aycock routed Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Kinston 9-0 on Thursday afternoon.
Blake Vail, Addison Westbrook, Ben Nichols, Dylan Quinn, Kareem Alawar and Rex Rose each earned singles for the Golden Falcons.
The doubles teams of Vail-Quinn, Westbrook-Quinn, and Austin Walker-Bradley Wilson were also victorious.
Aycock (2-1 overall, 2-0 ECC) welcomes Wilson Hunt on Tuesday.
Warriors win tri-meet
WILSON -- Eastern Wayne's girls' track team compiled 81 points to down Wilson Beddingfield and Charles B. Aycock in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tri-meet on Thursday.
Beddingfield collected 44 points, compared to 30 for Aycock.
Brittany Franklin earned first-place finishes in the 100- and 300-meter hurdles and the high jump. Leanna Kirkland finished first for the Warriors in the 800 meters with a time of 3 minutes, 7 seconds and was also first in the 1,600 meters with a 6:51.
Kayla Jones was first in the 400 meters.
Eastern Wayne also had a first-place finish in the 800-meter relay.
Aycock's results were not available.
* Baseball: Greene Central 20, Ayden-Grifton 2 -- Gunner Kendall went 3-for-3 at the plate with a double for the Rams. Sonny Bishop provided three hits and Kyle McLawhorn added a pair of hits. McLawhorn earned the win on the mound. Greene Central (3-0 overall) hosts Charles B. Aycock at 4:30 p.m. today.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 18, Princeton 1 -- Collin Dubose logged eight strikeouts and allowed four hits in a four-inning stint. Travis Musselman doubled in a 3-for-3, three-RBI performance. Cameron Taylor contributed three hits and two RBI. Jeff Davis batted 3-for-3 with a team-high five RBI. Justin Barbour (three RBI), Mick Walker (two RBI) and Bryant Stafford recorded two hits apiece. Blake Sutton went 1-for-1 with an RBI. C.B. Aycock (4-1 overall) travels to Greene Central today.
* Softball: Mount Olive 19, Greenwood 6 -- Katy Heirling and Starlyn Simmons each collected two hits for Mount Olive including Simmons' home run. Savannah Wiggins, Alli Eakes and Morgan Evans each had a hit. Morgan Best picked up the win on the mound. Mount Olive (2-0 overall) hosts Rosewood on Monday.
* Baseball: Rosewood 11, Eastern Wayne 6 -- Will Lane paced the Eagles (2-0 overall, 1-0 Division II) with three hits and John Winslow added a grand slam. Dee Mabry, Tyler Folk, Josh Clark and Jonathan Cherry each had hits. Folk earned the win on the mound while striking out five.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series