Trojans in middle of the pack for Hawn Cup
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on March 17, 2009 1:46 PM
HIGH POINT -- Mount Olive College is sixth overall in the Joby Hawn Cup standings after the completion of the winter sports season.
The Trojan men's basketball team earned a share of the Conference Carolinas regular-season championship, while the Trojan women finished runner-up. The teams combined for 24.5 points, which was second only to Barton, which won the men's conference tournament.
Anderson (S.C.) University, which won the women's basketball tournament, leads the 12-team league with 71.75 points. Pfeiffer is second with 58 points, followed by Lees-McRae with 53.
A mere 1.75 points separates the third- through sixth-place schools in the standings.
The Hawn Cup is awarded each year in honor of former Commissioner H.C. "Joby" Hawn for his many years of service to the former Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference. Cup points are awarded in each sport based on the order of regular-season finish with bonus points going to the tournament champion and runner-up. The system is based on the number of participating teams in each sport.
Mount Olive finished among the league's top five schools in the Hawn Cup standings a year ago.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series