Dail, Jones ground Hawks
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on March 18, 2009 1:47 PM
MOC Sports Information
MOUNT OLIVE -- UNC transfer B.J. Dail and Kyle Jones combined for a two-hitter as Mount Olive stopped in-state rival Chowan University 5-1 at Scarborough Field on Tuesday evening.
Dail (5-0) logged nine strikeouts and permitted one earned run in a seven-inning stint. Jones retired all six batters he faced as the Trojans improved to 15-12 overall this season.
Eastern Wayne graduate Airlon Vinson, who was named the Conference Carolinas player of the week, batted 2-for-4 against the Hawks. Mount Olive had four batters to record one RBI apiece in the non-conference affair.
Mount Olive grabbed a 2-0 lead in the third inning.
Kevin Kearney slugged a solo home run, his third of the season. Montoya Young walked, advanced two bases on an error and scored when Jesse Lancaster got hung up in a rundown.
Chowan pulled within 2-1 in the fifth inning.
The Trojans answered on Dylan Holton's RBI double. An inning later, Mount Olive added two runs on Joseph Westbrook's RBI hit and Jonathan Smith's RBI sacrifice fly, which plated Rich Racobaldo.
The teams conclude the two-game series today. First pitch is 3 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series