MOC hammers Chowan 14-6
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on March 19, 2009 1:46 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Senior Alex Vertcnik swatted a sixth-inning, grand slam as Mount Olive College thumped in-state rival Chowan University 14-6 at Scarborough Field on Wednesday afternoon.
The Trojans (16-12 overall) swept the two-day series and returns home for a weekend battle against Shepherd (W. Va.) University. The teams will play a doubleheader Saturday, beginning at noon, and a single game Sunday.
The Hawks (9-10) grabbed a 1-0, third-inning lead on Lee Dickens' RBI single.
Mount Olive finally answered in the third inning.
Jesse Lancaster belted a solo home run to left field for the 1-1 tie. The Trojans moved ahead 2-1 when Jonathan Smith was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Jackson Massey followed with a two-RBI hit to right field to make it 4-1.
Dylan Holton started Mount Olive's sixth-inning uprising with a single. He stole second, took third on a wild pitch and trotted home on Lancaster's base knock. Airlon Vinson and Rich Racobaldo each drew a walk to set the table for Vertcnik, who crushed his first grand slam of the season.
Chowan scored four ninth-inning runs off the Trojans' bullpen, including reliever Patrick Ball. Ryan Kussmaul started and improved to 4-1 on the mound.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series