Local Preps Digest
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on March 20, 2009 1:46 PM
Wayne Country Day pushed across six runs in the second inning and cruised past Rocky Mount Prep 11-1 in five innings on Thursday.
Cameron Ford went 3-for-3 with three doubles and five RBI for the Chargers. Jack Scott contributed a double and an RBI, while Stoan Stewart added a hit and two RBI.
Cody Neal earned the win on the mound. He allowed one run on one hit, posted seven strikeouts and yielded three walks in four innings.
Wayne Country Day (1-1 overall) plays host to Hobgood at 4 p.m. today.
GC roughs up SC
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central had little trouble with Spring Creek in an 11-1, non-conference win on Thursday.
Steven McDonald had three hits and two RBI for the Rams. Wes Sowers contributed three hits and an RBI. Jasper Jones provided two hits and a pair of RBI.
Derrick Grant earned the win on the mound for Greene Central.
Eric Evans had two hits and an RBI for the Gators.
Spring Creek (4-3 overall) entertains county foe Wayne Christian on Monday. The Rams (4-2) play a return game Tuesday at Spring Creek.
HR dooms SW
DUDLEY -- Riley Jones' three-run home run in the top of the sixth broke a 1-1 tie and lifted Wallace-Rose to a 4-2, non-conference win over Southern Wayne on Thursday.
Scott Holloman collected two hits for the Saints. Ryan Messimer, Cody Davis and Zach Grantham each had a hit.
The Saints (4-4 overall) play host to Kinston on Tuesday.
WILSON -- Michael Johnson stole home for the game-winning run as Wayne Christian escaped with a 14-13 victory at Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Community Christian on Thursday.
Kyle Harrell and Stephen Gallagher each had two hits for the Eagles. Johnson, Travis Thomas, Luke Howell, Chandler Harrell and Chase Darden each added hits.
Gallagher earned the win on the mound and Johnson picked up the save.
CALYPSO -- North Duplin scored seven runs in the first inning in a 14-4, non-conference win over Hobbton on Thursday.
James Kornegay led the Rebels with two hits and two RBI. Konner Brock contributed a pair of hits and an RBI.
Marcus Kornegay (two RBI), Ryan Wolfe and Brian Chase (RBI) each had hits.
Shayne Deaver earned the win on the mound for North Duplin.
The Rebels (2-3 overall) face Goldsboro today.
Rebels cage Wildcats
NEWTON GROVE -- Ansley Hill tossed a complete game and North Duplin erupted for six runs in the fifth inning in an 11-6 win at Hobbton on Thursday.
Ashley Cartwright led the Rebels with three hits and two RBI. Alonna Pate added two hits and two RBI. Skylar McCarty provided two hits and an RBI.
Tearra Ammons and Kailey Odom each finished with an RBI. Angelica Favela also contributed a hit.
Hill allowed six runs (three earned) on eight hits with eight strikeouts and three walks. Hill helped her cause offensively with a hit and two RBI.
North Duplin (2-3 overall) entertains Midway on Monday.
LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir cruised to a 13-0, non-conference victory over Spring Creek on Thursday.
Kendall Letchworth paced the Hawks' attack with three hits, three RBI and a home run. Courtney Hill and Kristen Davenport each supplied two hits and an RBI. Erin Dill picked up the win on the mound.
Katlyn Casey and Brittany Collier each had hits for the Gators.
North Lenoir (3-3 overall) visits Southern Wayne today and Spring Creek plays host to North Lenoir next Thursday.
WILSON -- Eastern Wayne was held to just three hits and suffered a 2-0 loss at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Wilson Hunt on Thursday.
Lindsey Frederick, Caitlin Turner and Lani Fricks each had hits for the Warriors. Fricks took the loss on the mound. The right-hander allowed two runs (one earned) on seven hits with two strikeouts and two walks.
Eastern Wayne (3-3 overall) plays host to Princeton at 4:30 today.
GC pounds AG
AYDEN -- Greene Central routed non-conference foe Ayden-Grifton 10-0 on Thursday.
Jessica Moore recorded three hits and three RBI for the Rams. Shanna Parker had two hits and three RBI.
Liz Webb earned the win on the mound, allowing two hits with nine strikeouts and no walks over five shutout innings.
Greene Central (1-4 overall) visits Wilson Fike for a doubleheader on Monday.
WCS wins big
WILSON -- Wayne Christian picked up an 18-1 win at Wilson Christian on Thursday.
Allyson Newsome tossed a no-hitter with the Cyclones' only run coming by way of walks and a fielder's choice.
Carly Hightower and Reagan Hinton each had a pair of hits for the Eagles. Kayla Kennedy, Sarah McCollum, Courtney Barrow, Blake Govan and Victoria Combs each provided hits.
Wayne Christian (2-1, 2-0 CCC) entertains Kerr-Vance today.
Saints edge Hunt
WILSON -- Southern Wayne slipped past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Wilson Hunt 5-4 on Thursday.
Chris King, Benny Segura and Kobi Hood were each singles winners for the Saints. The doubles tandems of Segura-Cameron Thames and King-Brandon Outlaw were also victorious.
Southern Wayne (6-2 overall, 2-2 ECC) plays host to C.B. Aycock on Tuesday.
Rams sink Vikings
TARBORO -- Greene Central hammered Eastern Plains 2-A Conference opponent Tarboro 8-1 on Thursday.
Eric Simmons, Colby Chase, Andrew Harrison, Jason Perry and Dillon Lee each had singles wins for the Rams.
The doubles teams of Simmons-Harrison, Chase-Perry and Hunter Thigpen-Lee were also victorious.
"We didn't play great today but it was enough to win," said Greene Central head coach Brad Sauls. "I hope we can pick up our level of play in the weeks to come."
The Rams (6-0 overall, 2-0 EPC) visit J.H. Rose on Monday.
WCDS outlasts RW
Wayne Country Day held on to earn a 5-4 win over Rosewood on the Wayne Community College courts Thursday afternoon.
Michael Knutson, Zach Phillips and Douglas Williams were all singles winners for the Chargers.
The doubles teams of Knutson-Jack Langston and Thomas Elmore-Phillips were also victorious Wayne Country Day.
The Chargers face the Eastern Wayne JV team today in New Hope.
SC earns first win
CLINTON -- Savannah Egelston scored twice as Spring Creek defeated Union 4-0 on Thursday.
Egelston's goal gave the Gators a 1-0 lead after one half.
Elizabeth Price, Jana Kutsch and Egleston each scored in the second half. Lindsay Byrd added an assist.
The Gators (1-1 overall) play host to Midway on Tuesday.
WILSON -- Wayne Christian fell 4-0 at Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Community Christian on Thursday.
The Eagles (2-2, 2-1 CCC) host Wayne Country Day on Monday.
PIKEVILLE -- Samantha Parrish scored on an assist from Charlie Ipock as Charles B. Aycock slipped past Princeton on 1-0 on Thursday evening.
Courtney Sheeks recorded her third shutout of the season in goal for the Golden Falcons.
Aycock (3-2-1 overall) travels to Kinston today.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 12, Greene Central 2 -- Travis Musselman doubled twice in three at-bats, drove in two runs, scored four runs and stole two bases for the Golden Falcons. Collin Dubose added three hits, including a double, to go with two RBI and two runs scored. Mick Walker swatted a grand slam home run. Blake Sutton batted 1-for-2. Aycock pitcher Aaron Champion scattered two hits and logged 11 strikeouts in the mercy rule-shortened contest. The Golden Falcons improved to 5-1 overall.
* Baseball: Eastern Wayne 9, Spring Creek 0 -- Jeremy Lancaster tallied two hits for the Warriors and Josh Dixon added a hit. Dixon and Lancaster both recorded four strikeouts on the mound.
* Baseball: Norwayne 10, Rosewood 8 -- Dylan Hinnant paced Norwayne with three hits and Logan Runyon added two hits. Dustin Price recorded the win on the mound. Norwayne (4-0, 1-0 WCMSAC Division I) faces Eastern Wayne on Monday.
* Softball: Grantham 17, Greenwood 3 -- Taylor Parker collected three hits for Grantham (3-1, 2-0 WCMSAC Division II) and Hope Rose tacked on a double. Parker also earned the win on the mound striking out 11 and allowing just two hits over five innings. Alex Pate had a hit for Greenwood.
* Softball: Princeton 6, McGee's 5 -- Tori Paul, Dannielle Best, Hanna Holland, Katelyn Edwards and Savanna Massengill each had two hits for Princeton. Edwards provided the game-winning hit in the seventh inning. Logan Jones recorded the win on the mound with nine strikeouts and two walks.
* Softball: Eastern Wayne 18, Spring Creek 3 -- Stephanie Smith led the Warriors with three hits. Bailee Hughes and Kara Peralta contributed two hits each and Ashley Cherry provided a hit. Cherry earned the win on the mound. Eastern Wayne (3-1 overall) visits Norwayne on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series