Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 6, 2009 1:46 PM
DURHAM -- Stephen Gallagher pitched a complete game and got plenty of run support in Wayne Christian's 16-6 win at Carolina Christian 1-A Conference baseball foe Trinity of Durham on Saturday.
Travis Thomas provided three hits for the Eagles, while Kyle Harrell added two triples and four RBI. Josh Burdett contributed two hits and two RBI.
Dante Arthur, Michael Johnson, Gallagher and Chandler Harrell each had a hit.
Wayne Christian (7-1, 7-0 CCC) entertains Johnston Christian at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.
Eastern Wayne bounced back from its loss at Southern Wayne on Friday and earned a 3-0 win over Havelock on Saturday morning in New Hope.
Lani Fricks scattered three hits in a complete-game effort, while striking out nine and walking two.
Morgan Smith collected two hits for the Warriors. Caitlin Turner supplied a hit and an RBI. Lindsey Frederick and Casey Mitchell each had a hit.
Eastern Wayne (6-7 overall) visits Jones Senior today.
* Baseball: Eastern Wayne 5, Southern Wayne 4 -- Benito Avila and Grey Simms (two RBI) pounded out two hits apiece for the Warriors. Jake May threw a complete-game, eight-hitter on the mound and posted two strikeouts. Brevon Johnson (two RBI) batted 3-for-4 for the Saints, while teammate Tyler Gainey contributed two doubles in four at-bats. Eastern Wayne (5-2 overall) improved to 3-1 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play.
* Soccer: 94 Goldsboro Sting 3, Lumberton 2 -- Collin Zacharzuk scored the eventual game-winning goal in the 33rd minute off an assist from Sting teammate Jan Verceles-Zara. Victor Ortiz-Alvarez collected two goals in a 12-minute stretch off assists from Bryan Johnson and Adrian Thompson. The Sting (3-3-0 overall) returns home Sunday for a game at Greenwood Middle School.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series