Southern Wayne upends South Brunswick
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on April 14, 2009 1:46 PM
SHALLOTTE -- Southern Wayne belted eight extra-base hits as they dominated South Brunswick 15-1 in the opening round of the annual Diamond Classic in Shallotte on Monday night.
The Saints offense showed no ill signs from the Easter break as six different players delivered at least one run batted in.
Keenan Winn provided some of the Saints power with two home runs and four RBI. Zach Grantham delivered two doubles as part of his 2-for-4 outing.
Scott Holloman reached base twice with a triple and a double. Jordan Williams, Jordan Hood and Tyler Edwards each chipped in two hits respectively in the win.
Michael Douglas pitched five sterling innings to earn the win on the mound for Southern Wayne. The only hit that the senior allowed was a first inning home run off the bat of Ryan Brendel.
Douglas struck out six batters and only walked one.
Weather permitting, the Saints (9-8) will battle West Brunswick at 7 p.m. tonight.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series