Trojan women netters reach Conference Carolinas finals
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on April 19, 2009 2:00 AM
SUMTER, S.C. -- Junior Jessica Souza clinched match point against Limestone (S.C.) College and vaulted Mount Olive College into today's Conference Carolinas women's tennis final against Erskine (S.C.) College.
First serve is 10 a.m.
A junior from Sao Paulo, Brazil, Souza took a 6-4, 6-2 singles victory at the No. 2 slot. Teammates Pietra Viana and Kristen Jones each triumphed in straight sets on the singles scene. Jones lost just one game.
The Trojans, regular season tri-champions, collected doubles points from the top-seeded tandem of Souza-Carol Aro and Viana-Camila Kurebayashi.
Erskine advanced with a 5-1 decision over Lees-McRae.
SUMTER, S.C. -- Sophomore Murilo Pelegrino rallied for a three-set victory in singles and helped fourth-seeded Mount Olive dump Pfeiffer 5-3 in the fifth-place match of the Conference Carolinas men's tennis tournament.
Pelegrino prevailed 5-7, 6-1, 6-3.
The Trojans also received singles wins from second-seeded Alexandre Queiors, Diogo Sender and Diogo Miranda. The "Diogos" combined to lose just five games at the Nos. 5 and 6 slots.
Queiros-Daniel Mosteanu picked up Mount Olive's lone doubles point.
The Trojans finished the season 9-14 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series