By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on April 21, 2009 1:50 PM
FAYETTEVILLE -- State-ranked Wayne Christian pounded out 22 hits in a 16-7, non-conference victory over Fayetteville Christian on Monday evening.
Michael Johnson led the Eagles' offense with a 5-for-5 outing, including two doubles. Dante Arthur finished with four hits and five RBI. Travis Thomas and Steven Gallagher added three hits apiece.
Luke Howell and Kyle Harrell each reached base twice.
"We looked very comfortable and really attacked the baseball," said first-year Wayne Christian head coach Greg Johnson. "I was proud of how we approached the plate tonight."
The Eagles (11-2 overall) played near-flawless defense in the seven-inning affair.
Howell earned the pitching win. Harrell and Michael Johnson provided stellar relief.
Wayne Christian, ranked No. 3 in the ImpactBaseball.com 1-A independent schools poll, travels to Bethel Academy on Thursday.
Cougars break 400
SNOW HILL -- Goldsboro broke the 400-stroke barrier for the first time since the program's resurrection three seasons ago by carding a four-man total of 398 during an Eastern Plains 2-A golf match Monday afternoon at Cutter Creek Golf Club.
The Cougars finished fifth in the six-team field.
Ricky Castillo, Obediah Speight, Ricky Richardson and Jeremy Chapman led Goldsboro to its best finish in the modern era.
"I am really pleased with how far this program has come," said Goldsboro head coach Al Sutherland. "From scoring 500 two years ago to 398 this season is a huge improvement."
Farmville Central won the meet with a 322 and Tarboro finished eight strokes back.
AYDEN -- Daniel Richter recorded Spring Creek's only win in singles play as the Gators suffered a 7-2 defeat against Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton on Monday afternoon.
The tandem of Justin Lewis-David Smith tallied Spring Creek's lone point in doubles play.
The Gators (0-6 overall, 0-4 CC) entertain Rosewood on Wednesday.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 11, Fayetteville Christian 1 -- Chandler Harrell and Greg Johnson combined for a one-hitter for the Eagles. Chase Darden, Ryan Cooke and Dante Arthur each recorded two hits. Jordan Crouthamel, Chandler Harrell and Gregory Johnson each added one hit respectively. Wayne Christian improved to 6-0 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series