Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 25, 2009 11:58 PM
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central rallied for the winning run in the bottom of the seventh inning as they bested Eastern Plains 2-A Conference rival North Pitt 4-3 on Friday night.
Megan Lovett led the Rams at the plate with a 3-for-3 effort that included a home run and two RBI. Peri Dail added two hits, including a triple.
Liz Webb tossed a complete game in the pitcher's circle to earn the win. Webb walked two batters and struck out eight.
Greene Central (7-12 overall, 4-2 EPC) will host Eastern Wayne for a non-conference tilt on Monday.
LaGRANGE -- Mindy Stallings belted a grand slam and North Lenoir never looked back in its 8-2 victory over Farmville Central on Friday.
Stallings finished with two hits and four RBI. Courtney Hill and Kristen Davenport each tallied three hits in the win respectively. Kendal Letchworth finished 2-for-4.
Aaryn Deal recorded the win in the pitcher's circle.
North Lenoir (10-6 overall, 4-2 EPC) will host Tarboro on Tuesday.
KINSTON -- Southern Wayne pounded out 20 hits and roughed up Kinston 18-2 in five innings on Friday night.
Jordan Core provided four hits for the Saints and Tara Hirsch added three hits and three RBI. Kayla Gracyk had three hits and two RBI and Lauren Darden, Brittany Pate (RBI) and Chelsea Phillips (two RBI) each contributed two hits. Madison Davis (2 RBI), Morgan Davis, Christina Williams and Sara Nelson each added a hit.
Darden picked up the win and the mound and Madison Davis tossed two innings of relief.
Southern Wayne (10-8, 4-2 ECC) hosts Wilson Hunt at 7 p.m. on Tuesday.
Eagles take win
KINSTON -- Three Wayne Christian players combined for nine hits in a 23-13, non-conference slugfest against perennial 2-A Christian school champion Bethel Academy.
Michael Johnson, Kyle Harrell and Chandler Harrell provided three hits apiece for the state-ranked Eagles. Travis Thomas doubled and tripled, while Dante Arthur and Steven Gallagher each added two hits.
Arthur started on the mound, but Gallagher claimed the pitching win in a relief role.
Wayne Christian (12-2 overall) entertains county archrival Wayne Country Day on Monday. First pitch is 4 p.m.
TARBORO -- Needham Core recorded the only hit for Goldsboro in a 18-0 loss to Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe Tarboro on Friday.
The Cougars will travel to Greene Central on Tuesday.
BETHEL -- North Pitt got a complete game outing from starting pitcher Wesley Warren as they defeated Greene Central 9-8 on Friday night in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference baseball action.
Jasper Jones took the loss for the Rams.
Greene Central (11-8, 4-2 EPC) will host Goldsboro on Tuesday.
Wayne Christian captured an 8-1 victory over Eastern Wayne's junior varsity squad on Friday.
Taylor Gray, Christopher Easom, Kenneth Giordano, Matt Thompson and Jason Lin each earned a singles point for the Eagles.
The duos of Woody Sasser-Giordano, Thompson-Linn and Gray-Easom each won in doubles play.
Steven Taylor captured Eastern Wayne's lone point in singles action.
Wayne Christian (8-1) will battle Wayne Country Day on Monday.
Cranford leads CBA
ROCKY MOUNT -- C.P. Cranford fired an 18-hole round of 82 and led Charles B. Aycock to a third-place showing in a four-team, non-conference match at Birchwood Country Club.
Steven Heron added a 101 for the Golden Falcons, who posted a four-player total of 404 on the par-72 layout. Chase Parnell (105) and Jeremy Lipscomb (116) completed Aycock's scoring.
Hunt edged Northern Nash 328-330 in the team portion.
NEW BERN -- Ryan Lake and Caleb Jones carded career-best rounds of 77 as Eastern Wayne settled for runner-up honors behind New Bern in a triangular meet at The Emerald.
Keith Gregorcyk fired a 94 for the Warriors, who dropped a 309-344 decision to the Bears. Hidematsu Sueki and Nick Lancaster each finished with an 18-hole round of 96.
Will Bunch paced Southern Wayne with an 85. Chris Best contributed an 86, while Johnathon Lawhorn and Robert Herring recorded scores of 90 and 95, respectively.
The Warriors and Saints return to action Monday at Goldsboro Municipal Golf Course.
Lane Tree GA
Donna Adams and Betty Jean Gurley claimed weekly tournament honors on the Lane Tree Golf Club links.
Adams, Gurley and Linda Watson claimed low net during the two events. Watson, Adams and Lou Ellen Flowers seized low putts.
Walnut Creek LGA
April Ellis was the play-of-the-day winner during weekly tournament action at Walnut Creek Country Club.
Kathy Woodard and Evelyn Rose took low gross and low net, respectively, in first-flight competition. Linda Cannon and Joyce Reynolds grabbed low gross and low net, respectively, in second-flight play.
Gaye Bryant claimed low putts for the field.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 7, D.H. Rose 1 -- Travis Musselman (three RBI), Collin DuBose and Jeff Davis (RBI) each contributed two hits for the Golden Falcons (13-2). Mick Walker (home run), Christian Pate and Avery Anderson had a hit apiece.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 14, Bethel Academy 6 -- The Eagles' Greg Johnson fanned nine Bethel batters in a complete-game effort on the mound. Chase Darden pounded out three hits and drove in five runs. Chandler Harrell and Jordan Crouthamel contributed two hits apiece. Wayne Christian (8-0) visits Kerr-Vance on Tuesday.
* Softball: Grantham 16, Greenwood 5 -- Taylor Parker earned the win on the mound while recording 18 strikeouts and allowing just one hit. Parker provided three hits and the plate and Brooke Coty and Hope Rose each had two hits. Grantham (8-3) plays host to Brogden on Monday.
* Softball: Princeton 22, Selma 0 -- Katelyn Edwards contributed four hits including a double and a home run for the Bulldogs. Savanna Massengill added four hits and Tori Paul and Logan Jones each had three hits. Jones earned the win on the mound with nine strikeouts.
* Baseball: Eastern Wayne 12, Spring Creek 2 -- Jeremy Lancaster and Tyler Huetter each had two hits and Josh Dixon added a triple for Eastern Wayne. The Warriors visit Dillard on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series