By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on April 28, 2009 1:46 PM
Christopher Easom improved to 10-0 on the singles scene as Wayne Christian doubled up county archrival Wayne Country Day 6-3 on the Wayne Community College tennis courts Monday afternoon.
Easom turned back the Chargers' Jack Langston 7-6 (7), 6-1 at the No. 2 slot to remain perfect this spring.
The Eagles' Taylor Gray, Woody Sasser and Jason Lin each earned a singles point. The tandems of Gray-Easom and Dylan Smith-Lin prevailed in doubles action.
Zack Phillips and Miller Gerard each notched a singles victory for the Chargers (2-7 overall). The duo of Michael Knutson-Phillips captured a doubles point.
Wayne Christian (9-1) entertains Trinity of Durham today in Carolina Christian 1-A Conference play. The Chargers visit Faith Christian of Rocky Mount.
Goldsboro High School topped the Goldsboro Parks and Recreation Department 9-0 on Monday afternoon at Herman Park.
Spencer Howell, Bernard Green, Nathan Wright, Chuck Stanley, Jason Horne and Peyton Garland each earned a singles point in pro-set (eight-game) play.
The tandems of Howell-Horne and Wright-Green each earned a doubles point. The Cougars captured the third doubles marker by forfeit.
Elijah Slater topped Katherine Harrison in exhibition action.
WILSON -- Princeton rallied for two 12th-inning runs in 2-0, non-conference victory over Fike on Monday evening.
Ashley Braswell drew a one-out walk and advanced into scoring position when Becca Harlan reached on an error. Danielle Mitchell advanced the runners with a productive groundout and Tylan George followed with the game-winning single.
George, Mitchell, Devon Murphy, Traci Birdgers and Amber Wood each tallied one hit in the extra-inning affair.
Bridgers tossed the first 10 innings in the pitcher's circle before giving way to Wood who earned the win with two additional scoreless frames.
Princeton (8-5 overall) travels to North Duplin today.
RALEIGH -- Faith Christian suffered its second loss of the softball season with a 3-0 setback against Wake Christian on Monday afternoon.
Brooke Anderson and Jennifer Christopher each tallied two hits respectively for the Conquerors.
Faith Christian visits Trinity Christian of Greenville today.
Greene Central pounded out 15 hits en route to a 16-9, non-conference victory over Eastern Wayne on Monday afternoon.
Lani Fricks suffered the loss in the pitcher's circle for the Warriors. Fricks allowed seven earned runs on 15 hits and struck out five.
Carrissa Turner, Dashonique Bristow and Allison Sutton each tallied two hits for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne (7-11 overall) travels to county rival Charles B. Aycock tonight. First pitch is 7 p.m.
LaGRANGE -- Holly Pittard notched both goals as Goldsboro endured a 5-2 loss to Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe North Lenoir on Monday evening.
The Cougars (0-4-0 overall) visit Tarboro on Wednesday.
* Softball: Grantham 17, Brogden 0 -- Taylor Parker struck out eight batters en route to the win in pitcher's circle. Kayla Overton led the Bulldogs at the plate with a triple and Hope Rose added a double. Grantham (9-3 overall) plays host to Rosewood on Thursday.
* Softball: Princeton 2, Benson 0 -- Savanna Massengill tallied two hits including a triple in the win. Julia Coats finished a perfect 3-for-3 on the night and Hanna Holland reached base twice. Holland claimed the win in the pitcher's cirlce by striking out seven batters.
* Baseball: Eastern Wayne 11, Dillard 0 -- Tyler Ware struck out seven batters and pitched a shutout for the Warriors. M.J. Morgan delivered a triple and Tyler Huetter notched a single in the win. Eastern Wayne (8-4 overall) entertains Norwayne on May 4.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series