By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on May 7, 2009 1:46 PM
Eastern Wayne held off pesky Spring Creek squad and earned a 6-4, senior night victory Wednesday.
Casey Mitchell paced the Warriors with a three-hit effort. Lyndsey Frederick, Caitlin Turner and Morgan Smith recorded one hit and one RBI apiece.
Lani Fricks went the distance in the pitcher's circle to earn the win. Fricks struck out six batters, allowed seven hits and no earned runs.
The Warriors (9-13 overall) play the wait-and-see game as Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play concludes this week. Eastern Wayne is the No. 5 seed in the season-ending ECC tournament.
LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir captured a 21-0, three-inning win over Goldsboro in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference play Wednesday.
Mindi Stallings led the Hawks' offense with four hits, including a home run and three RBI. Kendal Letchworth and Kayla Letchworth each added two hits.
Aaryn Deal struck out nine batters en route to the win in the pitcher's circle.
North Lenoir (15-6 overall, 7-2 EPC) travels to Greene Central on Friday.
SNOW HILL -- Farmville Central seized a share of the Eastern Plains 2-A Conference regular-season title with a 6-0 conquest of Greene Central.
Peri Dail tallied the Rams' only hit of the contest.
Liz Webb allowed eight hits and struck out seven, but took the loss in the pitcher's circle.
Greene Central entertains North Lenoir on Friday.
Tyler Potter tossed a five-inning, complete game as North Lenoir rolled past Goldsboro 18-0 in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference action Wednesday.
Dejuan Gray swatted a grand slam, drove in six runs and finished the day with three hits for the Hawks.
Mike Wetherington added a two-run blast. Wil Sutton, Spencer Moye, Scott Ginn and Potter each added two hits respectively in the win.
North Lenoir (14-7 overall) plays host to Greene Central on Friday.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 7, Grantham 0 -- Ann Reed Hulse provided a hat trick (three goals) and an assist for the Warriors. Kayla Wiebe, Lindsay Underwood, Zhane Wade and Grace Delbridge tallied one goal apiece. Elizabeth Amon recorded an assist. Eastern Wayne improved to 6-1-0 overall.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 3, Greenwood 0 -- Lindsay Underwood netted two goals for the Warriors. Elizabeth Amon added a third marker and Zhane Wade finished with one assist. Eastern Wayne improved to 7-1-1 overall. The Warriors will travel to Norwayne on Tuesday.
* Softball: Eastern Wayne 14, Greenwood 1 -- Bailey Hughes earned the win in the pitcher's circle for the Warriors. Ramsye Eason paced the victors at the plate with three hits. Hughes added a triple.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series