05/10/09 — C.B. Aycock secures opening-round, home playoff game

View Archive

C.B. Aycock secures opening-round, home playoff game

By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on May 10, 2009 2:00 AM

PIKEVILLE -- Ready for round three.

Charles B. Aycock punched its ticket to the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament championship with a 4-2 victory over Wilson Hunt on Saturday evening.

The semifinal-round win sets up a third meeting with county rival Eastern Wayne on Monday night with the ECC crown on the line.

"We want to go over there and get a win' and they want to do the same," said Golden Falcons head coach Charles Davis. "There are no secrets. It's going to be a great game for the fans of both teams to come out and support."

Aycock assured itself of an opening-round home game in the N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs, which begin Friday. Davis' team will entertain Fike.

"I have, and I am sure coach (Jabo) Fulghum has, the bigger picture in mind going into Monday," said Davis. "We wanted to get a home game in the playoffs and we accomplished that. It's really nice for guys like Adron Hollowell and Jimmy Kearney."

Hollowell led the Golden Falcons' offense against the Warriors.

In the first inning, Will Edgerton led off with a double and Connor Narron walked. Edgerton scored on a wild pitch and Hollowell followed with an RBI double that pushed the Golden Falcons in front 2-0.

Hunt answered with one run in the second inning when Jerome Richardson scored on Cory Nygard's sacrifice fly.

C.B. Aycock (18-5 overall) added an insurance run in its half of the inning when Jordan Quinn scored on an RBI single by Edgerton.

"I thought Will had a great game, and he handled the bat really well," said Davis. "In his second at-bat he fought off some good pitches and eventually lined a ball up the middle."

Zach Houchins' home run in the fifth pulled the Warriors within 3-2, but the home squad answered with a much-needed insurance.

Jonathan Taylor reached on a controversial double that appeared to land in the glove of Richardson in center field. The umpire ruled the play a trap and two batters later Nicholas McGee drove in Taylor with a single.

"We didn't execute as well as I would have liked," said Davis. "But we had eight days off and I thought our guys did a good job of getting back into it."

Erik DuBose earned the mound win by pitching 42/3 innings and allowing just two runs on seven hits. Hollowell earned the save.