Eastern Wayne claims two junior legion games
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on June 22, 2009 1:46 PM
Logan Wicks delivered a game-clinching, walk-off single and Wayne County North edged North Lenoir 6-5 in American Junior Legion baseball action Sunday afternoon.
Tied at 5-5, Greg Simms started the rally with a lead-off walk and stole second. Wicks (3-for-4) collected his third RBI of the day when he ripped a two-strike pitch down the third-base line to score Simms.
"Wicks is really maturing as a baseball player on the mound and at the plate," said Wayne County North coach Roger May.
Wicks threw six scoreless innings and logged six strikeouts in a no-decision. Benito Avila tossed 1/3 of an inning and Nolan James picked up with the victory with two-thirds of an inning on the hill.
Spencer Moye added a double in the victory.
Jake May threw a complete game and Wayne County North capitalized on seven walks in a 7-6 victory over Wilson. May gave up 11 hits, but surrendered just five runs (three earned) and posted three strikeouts.
Tyler Ware led Wayne County North with two hits in four at-bats.
"(We) played small ball and did a great job of aggressive base running," said May.
Wayne County North (4-6 overall) entertains Northern Nash on Wednesday. First pitch is 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series