Wayne County softball update
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on June 25, 2009 1:46 PM
SNOW HILL -- The Wayne County 8-under, 10U and 14U softball teams remain alive in the Eastern N.C. Babe Ruth District tournament.
The 8U squad dropped its opening-round game to Greene County, but could get a title rematch on Friday. Wayne County faces either Kinston/Lenoir in an elimination-round contest tonight.
In 10U action, Wayne County called upon its bullpen during a 15-3, five-inning rout of Greene County. Dallas Jones started in the pitcher's circle and received assistance from Mackenzie Wheeler, Haley Brogden, Taylor Waddell and Makayla Pelt. The quintet combined for a three-hitter and 11 strikeouts.
Wheeler paced the offense with three hits in four at-bats. Waddell and Cara Lenzi contributed two hits apiece. Jones, Tanika Powell, Lexi Edmundson, Maddie Lyon and Hunter Tillman each recorded one hit.
The 10U title contest is 6 p.m. Friday.
Wayne County's 14U team advanced to tonight's championship game with a 17-1 thrashing of Greene County. The opponent could be either Greene County or Kinston/Lenoir. Details were not available on the Greene County victory.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series