Junior legion teams enjoy victories
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on July 3, 2009 1:46 PM
DUDLEY -- Wayne South exploded for 14 runs in the final two innings as they bested Northern Nash 17-7 in Junior American Legion baseball action on Thursday night.
The offensive outburst completed a thrilling comeback as Wayne South trailed 6-2 after the first inning.
Taylor Brock led the South attack with four hits and three RBI. Cody Davis, Zach Grantham and Keenan Winn each added three hits respectively.
On the night, Wayne South belted six extra-base hits.
Duane Gurganus earned the win on the pitcher's mound by throwing two sterling innings of relief.
Wayne South will travel to Benson on Monday.
DEEP RUN -- Wayne North scored four runs on four hits and topped South Lenoir 4-2 on Thursday night in the completion of a suspended game.
Zach Beachum, Greg Simms, Jake May and Hunter Newsome each recorded one hit in the win.
Beachum scattered four hits and went the distance on the pitcher's mound to earn the win.
Wayne North travels to Rocky Mount tonight at 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Sutton seeks WCA three-peat
- Opinion -- A look at MLB's best kept secrets
- Junior leagion boxscore
- Wayne South falls to North Lenoir
- Gourley earns first professional hit
- MOC players injoy YES clinic
- Wayne South wins, Aycock tumbles
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite