Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on August 28, 2009 1:49 PM
Wayne Christian rolled past Grace Christian 9-0 on the John Allen Farfour Courts at Herman Park on Thursday afternoon.
Brooke Barfield, Faith Sutton, Savannah Sutton, Samantha Reaves, Blake Govan and Taylor Willman were all singles winners for the Eagles.
The doubles teams of Barfield-Savannah Sutton, Faith Sutton-Reaves and Willman-Govan also emerged victorious.
The Eagles entertain Franklin Academy on Tuesday.
WCS wins in PK's
Wayne Christian converted three penalty kicks during a shootout session and nipped Grace Christian 5-4 on Thursday afternoon.
Chase Darden, Davis Taylor and Gregory Alexander each recorded a PK for the Eagles. Grace Christian misfired on three attempts.
Alexander notched two first-half goals for Wayne Christian, but Grace answered with two second-half goals. The teams remained tied after the overtime periods and had use to the PK shootout to determine the winner in the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference game.
The Eagles (3-1-0 overall) remained unbeaten in three league outings this season. They travel to Wayne Country Day on Monday.
RHS edges MHS
SPIVEY'S CORNER -- Zach Behrend scored two goals and handed out an assist as Rosewood slipped past Midway 4-3 on Thursday afternoon.
Scott Pate added a goal and an assist. Matt Shaw also had a goal.
Eagle goalie Will Grantham recorded five saves.
Rosewood (1-2-0) plays host to Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
Cougars shut out
VANCEBORO --West Craven handed Goldsboro an 11-0, non-conference loss on Thursday afternoon.
"West Craven has an outstanding program and they played their game well," said Cougars head coach Tyler Gatlin.
Goldsboro (0-3-0 overall) continues its current four-game road swing Monday at North Johnston.
CARY -- Cary Academy scored four times in the second half on its way to a 5-0 win over Wayne Country Day on Thursday.
The Chargers (3-1-0) visit Epiphany today.
Eagles still unbeaten
Wayne Christian needed just three games to turn back Grace Christian 25-22, 25-7, 25-17 on Thursday.
Kaitlyn Kosuda recorded a career-high 11 kills. Hanna Kaler provided 13 assists and three service aces. Crissi Brogneaux added supplied four digs, two assists and an ace.
Katie Isenhower and Haley Greenwood each had five digs. Summer Brathwaite finished with three kills.
The Eagles (6-0 overall) play host to Norlina today.
CBA downs GC
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock earned a 25-11, 25-19, 23-25, 25-15 non-conference victory over Greene Central on Thursday.
Beth Carter supplied eight kills and four aces for the Golden Falcons. Cassidy Anderson chipped in seven service aces and Ashley Shingleton had a strong floor game.
Shonice Pettaway led the Rams with 13 kills, six aces and four blocks. Maegan Letchworth added four blocks and three kills.
Aycock (1-3 overall) travels to Princeton on Tuesday, while Greene Central (0-4) begins Eastern Plains 2-A Conference play at Farmville Central.
Union outlasts RHS
Union rallied to win the final two games of a 25-14, 22-25, 15-25, 25-22, 17-15 victory at Rosewood on Thursday.
Cheslea Sawkiw contributed 12 assists, 11 digs and a service ace for the Eagles. Alyssa Spell pitched in 11 digs and 10 assists. Megann Tydnall had 11 digs, five kills and two aces.
Taylor Johnson pounded out 23 kills to go with nine digs, five blocks and four aces. Brittney McGill had eight digs. Stephanie Hall finished with eight assists and two digs.
Rosewood (0-4 overall) entertains Farmville Central on Monday.
HARRELLS -- Kim Martell recorded a double-double -- 10 kills, 15 digs -- in Wayne Country Day's season-opening loss at Harrells Christian Academy.
The Chargers fell 22-25, 20-25, 22-25.
Martell and Hannah Pearson combined for five service aces. Sterling Coggins and Edie Hooks dished out five and four assists, respectively.
Jones strong for WCS
WAKE FOREST -- Wayne Christian's Connor Jones finished first with a time of 21 minutes, 30 seconds during the boys' portion of a five-team meet Thursday afternoon at Flaherty Park.
Franklin Academy, Grace Christian, East Wake Academy and Woods Academy also competed.
The Eagles' Mark Sawyer ran a top-10 time of 23:28.
Wayne Christian's Jennifer Price finished sixth during the girls' race with a time of 26:40.
Team results were not available.
The Eagles visit Princeton on Monday.
* Goldsboro 36, Eastern Wayne 0 -- Karon Alston rushed for 107 yards and three touchdowns, and returned the opening kickoff 82 yards for another TD in the Cougars' season-opening game. Maurice Coley added 133 yards rushing, while Jalin Spruill contributed 64 yards and two TDs. Goldsboro middle linebacker Adrian Super recorded nine tackles. Barnard Cannon (seven tackles, two sacks) and Rasheed Rawlings (five tackles, one sack) also helped defensively. The Warriors (0-1) managed just one first down.
* Volleyball: C.B. Aycock d. Greene Central 25-17, 25-23 -- Ivey Hartzell contributed five kills for the Golden Falcons (3-1).
* Volleyball: Grace Christian d. Wayne Christian 11-25, 25-16, 26-24 -- The Eagles entertain Norlina today.
* Volleyball: Union d. Rosewood 25-27, 25-21, 25-21 -- Crystal Allen paced Rosewood with 12 kills and four blocks. Rachyle McAlduff had 10 assists, six kills and four assists. Amanda Beckert recorded nine assists, three digs, a service ace and a kill. Scout Anderson handed out 15 assists to go with four aces and Summer Jones had eight digs.
* Soccer: Grace Christian 2, Wayne Christian 1-- Chris Smith scored the lone goal for Wayne Christian (0-2-0 overall).
* Volleyball: Faith Christian-RM d. Wayne Country Day 25-20, 16-25, 25-14 -- Jessica Zhou had three service aces and one kill for Wayne Country Day. Sarah Crooks contributed two aces and two kills. The Chargers are 0-1 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Andre the giant: Goldsboro's Montgomery rushes for 4 touchdowns
- Wayne Christian spikers remain unbeaten in 7 outings this season
- Moore's fourth-quarter TD seals Tigers' home win
- Week 2 prep boxscores
- Golden Falcons soar past Eagles
- Rosewood-C.B. Aycock box
- Princeton-N. Moore boxscore
- Gurganus has record-setting night for Dawgs
- North Duplin-Lakewood box
- Lakewood shuts out North Duplin