Eagles' Jones emerges top runner at meet
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on September 5, 2009 11:06 PM
Wayne Christian's Connor Jones emerged the top runner in a four-team, non-conference boys' cross country meet Friday afternoon at historic Waynesborough Park.
Jones ran the course in 19 minutes, 13 seconds -- more than a minute quicker than runner-up Philip Ayers of Faith Christian-Rocky Mount. The Eagles' Mark Sawyer placed sixth overall in 20:45.
Will Massey (16th, 23:08) and William Garner (18th, 23:50) each recorded a top-20 showing. Nick Sullivan (23rd, 25:27) completed Wayne Christian's third-place score of 64.
Faith Christian claimed the team win with 39 points, followed by Franklin Academy with 47. Oakwood ended up a distant fourth with 112 points.
On the girls' side, Wayne Christian's Jennifer Price grabbed fourth overall in 24:40. Teammate Christina Foster was the next-highest finisher with a 23rd-place time of 30:37.
Kayla Kennedy (24th, 31:00), Tiffany Price (27th, 33:34) and Morgan Matthews (28th, 35:10) contributed to the Eagles' 109-point effort.
Eagles wake up
Wayne Christian erupted for five second-half goals and stormed past Community Christian 6-1 in a Carolina Christian 1-A Conference match Friday afternoon.
The Eagles benefited from an "own goal" in the opening half.
The Cyclones' Terrel Joyner collected the equalizing goal during the first 40 minutes as the teams entered intermission deadlocked at 1-1.
Unable to connect on crossing shots in the first half, Wayne Christian consistently found the mark in the second half. Davis Taylor scored twice and assisted on one goal, including the game-winning score in the 44th minute.
Chase Darden supplied two goals and Nathan Taylor capped the outburst with a goal in the 64th minute.
Wayne Christian (5-2 overall, 5-0 CCC) travels to Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday.
Faith Christian falls
Faith Christian suffered a 3-1 setback to Berean Christian in a N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A contest on Friday afternoon.
The Conquerors (0-3-0 overall) play host to Neuse Christian on Tuesday.
Senior Madison Caudle recorded eight kills and fellow senior Zoie Singer contributed seven kills in Faith Christian's five-set loss to Berean Christian on the N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A scene.
Set scores were not available.
Caudle and Singer combined for four service aces. Junior Courtney Albritton recorded six kills and one ace.
Faith Christian (2-1 overall) entertains Neuse Christian on Tuesday.
Eagles win in CCC
Senior setter Hanna Kaler dished out 25 assists as Wayne Christian stopped Community Christian 25-15, 25-10, 26-24 inside Clifford Gymnatorium on Friday afternoon.
Kaler added seven and four service aces for the Eagles, who improved to 9-1 overall and 5-1 against Carolina Christian 1-A Conference opposition. Outside hitter Jessica Swets provided eight kills, while middle hitter Kaitlyn Kosuda supplied nine kills and four aces.
Summer Brathwaite added four kills and one block.
Wayne Christian travels to Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday.
Wayne Christian posted shutouts in three singles and easily defeated Eastern Wayne's JV squad 8-1 on Thursday afternoon.
Brooke Barfield, Faith Sutton and Savannah Sutton each logged an 8-0 victory. Samantha Reaves, Blake Govan and Taylor Willman also triumphed in their respective matches.
The tandems of Barfield-Reaves and S. Sutton-Willman won in doubles.
The Warriors' Tikeyah Shaw-Sidney Villareal captured a 9-8 victory at No. 3 doubles over F. Sutton-Gina Wall.
Wayne Christian improved to 5-0 overall.
* Greene Central 34, C.B. Aycock 16 -- A.J. Mundle led the Golden Falcons' rushing attack with 205 yards on 23 carries. Collin DuBose added 72 yards on the ground. Adam Pate completed 3 of 6 passes for 55 yards, including a touchdown. Hunter Britt emerged the defensive leader with eight tackles. Mark Jones contributed five tackles and one quarterback sack. Aycock (1-1 overall) travels to Goldsboro on Thursday.
* Girls' tennis: Greene Central d. C.B. Aycock 7-2 -- Third-seeded Caroline Bone pulled out an 8-6, singles win for the Golden Falcons. The third-seeded doubles of Christlee Hooks-Erin Glass also claimed an 8-6 victory. C.B. Aycock (0-2 overall) entertains Eastern Wayne on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: Faith Christian d. Berean Christian (no score) -- Sophomore Elizabethe Weeks had three kills and one service ace. Sophomore Katie Watson registered two kills and two aces.
Other Local Sports
- Southern Wayne nets tennis victory over Rosewood
- Youth movement: Southern Wayne learning lessons in practice, during games
- Are preseason troubles sign of things to come for Carolina?
- Gallardo's goal lifts MOC men at home
- Warriors knock out North Johnston
- C.B. Aycock, Spring Creek battle to 2-2 draw
- Local Preps Digest
- Spring Creek stops Raiders
- MOC golf finishes ninth