MOC golf finishes ninth
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on September 9, 2009 1:46 PM
MOC Sports Information
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. -- Pete Skirpstas fired a second-round 2-under par 70, the second-lowest score of the day, and finished tied for 14th overall in the USC Aiken/Kiawah Island Men's Golf Invitational.
Skirpstas posted a two-day total of 2-over par 176 and helped Mount Olive end up ninth in the team standings at 601. The Trojans concluded the 36-hole event just three shots behind eighth-place Armstrong Atlantic State (Ga.) and were within nine strokes of earning a top-five finish.
Scott Woodard complemented Skirpstas with a 149, good enough to share 24th overall. Ryan Campbell contributed a 151, while Fabrizio Ceppi carded a 155. Kyle Simpson turned in a 167.
Mount Olive returns to action Oct. 12-13 in the Queens University Invitational at Ponte Verde Beach, Fla. The Trojan women open their season next week at the Pfeiffer University Lady Falcon Invitational.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne Christian turns back Wayne Country Day
- Archery season opens Saturday
- Sixth annual Backwater Open scheduled Oct. 3
- N.C. fishing report
- Lanier, Hawks topple Eagles
- Local Preps Digest
- Southern Wayne nets tennis victory over Rosewood
- Youth movement: Southern Wayne learning lessons in practice, during games
- Are preseason troubles sign of things to come for Carolina?
- Gallardo's goal lifts MOC men at home