Local Preps Digest
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on September 11, 2009 1:47 PM
DURHAM -- Tyler Mooring scored on a cross from Gregory Alexander in the second overtime period to lift Wayne Christian to a 5-4 victory over Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Trinity of Durham on Thursday.
The Eagles led 3-1 in the second half before Trinity stormed back to tie the game at 4-4. Alexander and Chase Darden each scored in the first half for Wayne Christian. Alexander scored off Darden's throw-in during the second half and teammate Jordan Crouthamel found the back of the net off Alexander's assist.
The Eagles (6-3 overall, 6-1 CCC) travel to Wilmington Christian today for the annual Tidal Wave Soccer Tournament.
KINSTON -- Missing three starters due to injury, Wayne Country Day was dealt a 6-1 loss at Parrott Academy on Thursday.
Cameron Ford scored the lone goal for the Chargers on a penalty kick in the 65th minute.
Wayne Country Day (7-2 overall) visits Waccamaw Academy on Monday.
Eagles fall short
KINSTON -- Eastern Wayne regrouped after dropping the opening set and held on for a 19-25, 25-23, 25-13, 10-25, 15-9 win at Kinston on Thursday evening.
Emily Sparks finished with three service aces and two kills. Brittney McKinney recorded three aces, four service points and two kills. Andy Macias had three aces and three kills.
Amethyst McPhail supplied four kills and an ace.
The Warriors (3-8 overall) entertain South Johnston on Tuesday.
Eagles fall short
Wayne Christian won the first two sets, but watched Fayetteville Christian rallied for a 18-25, 19-25, 25-23, 25-12, 16-14 non-conference victory inside Clifford Gymnatorium on Thursday afternoon.
The Eagles Hanna Kaler handed out 17 assists to go with eight service aces and six digs. Summer Brathwaite pounded out seven kills and Kaitlyn Kosuda had five blocks.
Crissi Brogneaux recorded 10 digs and four blocks. Katie Isenhower provided 18 digs. Britney O'Hara and Jessica Swets both added six kills.
Wayne Christian (9-3 overall) entertains Trinity of Durham today.
Saints bag Hawks
DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne improved to 1-1 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with an 8-1 win over visiting North Lenoir on Thursday.
Morgan Roberts, Jessica Best, Erica Strickland, Michala Best and Mollieanne Kennedy were all singles winners for the Saints.
The doubles teams of Roberts-Strickland, Jessica Best-Taylor Parker and Michala Best-Kennedy were also victorious.
Catherine Shelton earned the lone point for the Hawks with a singles win.
Southern Wayne (4-4 overall, 1-1 ECC) travels to Rosewood on Monday, while North Lenoir visits Triton on Tuesday.
CBA blanks S. Johnston
FOUR OAKS -- Charles B. Aycock dominated South Johnston 9-0 on Thursday afternoon.
Ashley Howell, Hollie Baker, Abbey Strickland, Harlie Howard, Nicole Kessler and Katie Gurley each recorded singles wins.
The doubles tandems of Howell-Strickland, Baker Gurley and Kessler-Amanda Farmer were also victorious.
Aycock (6-5 overall, 2-0 ECC) plays host to Eastern Wayne on Tuesday.
Rams buck N. Pitt
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central disposed of North Pitt 9-0 on Thursday.
Lauren Carraway, Elizabeth McLawhorn, Samantha Taylor, Jessica Gray, Abby Sugg and Abbey Dail were all singles winners for the Rams.
The doubles teams of Carraway-McLawhorn, Gray-Dail and Brittany Collie-Hayes Lovett were also victorious.
"We finished up the first half of our conference season in strong fashion today against North Pitt," said Greene Central head coach Donald Clark. "Our team has really come together this week and I'm hopeful that we will continue to strive to improve in the second half of our season."
The Rams (7-4 overall, 5-0 EPC) visit Farmville Central today to complete a suspended match.
Chargers edge Eagles
AYDEN -- Ayden-Grifton earned a critical point at No. 3 doubles and held off Rosewood 5-4 on Thursday.
Katie Hoff and Ashley Henry both provided singles wins for the Eagles. The doubles teams of Hoff-Marieke Parrish and Brooke Bell-Elise McSwain were also victorious.
Rosewood plays host to Southern Wayne on Monday.
ERWIN -- Eastern Wayne opened the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference portion of its schedule with a 9-0 victory at Triton on Thursday.
Danielle Daniel, Miller Delbridge, Janielle Daniel, Warner Underwood, Amber Miller and Grace Delbridge each won their singles matches for the Warriors.
The doubles tandems of Danielle Daniel-Underwood, Miller Delbridge-Janielle Daniel and Grace Delbridge-Miller were also victorious.
Eastern Wayne (5-3 overall, 1-0 ECC) travels to C.B. Aycock on Tuesday.
So. Wayne sweeps
Southern Wayne swept both the boys' and girls' portions of a meet with Spring Creek at Cliffs of the Neuse State Park on Thursday.
The Saints compiled a team score of 25 edging out the Gators' 30 points.
Southern Wayne's Cole Byrd and Trevor Morgan both crossed the finish line in 21 minutes and nine seconds. Spring Creek's Corey Howell was third in 21:52 ahead of teammate Drew Pierce who had a time of 21:54. The Saints' Daniel Nillson (22:17) rounded out the top five.
Southern Wayne recorded a score of 15 on the girls side and the Gators did not field a team. Kanesha Jones was the top female runner with a time of 32:23. Teammates Sarah Judy (32:30), Amanda Barfield (33:43), Lacy Tillman (34:01) and Bianca McCotter (37:07) all placed in the top five.
Southern Wayne visits Eastern Wayne on Tuesday, while Spring Creek is the guest of Rosewood on Wednesday.
* Goldsboro d. C.B. Aycock 38-8 -- Karon Alston paced the Goldsboro offense with 111 yards rushing and two touchdowns and the ground while adding a pair of receiving scores. Maurice Coley chipped in 44 yards rushing and Billy Hamm had a rushing touchdown. Cougars quarterback Julius Murphy threw two touchdown passes. Adrian Super led the Goldsboro defense with 11 tackles and Reikeme Cannon had seven tackles and two interceptions. Barnard Cannon added eight tackles.
* Greene Central d. Eastern Wayne 30-12 -- The Warriors' A.J. Clark tossed a touchdown pass to Tykel Thompson. Thompson also recovered a fumble to set up Eastern Wayne's other touchdown. Javon Darden led the Warriors' rushing attack. Eastern Wayne (0-3 overall) visits West Craven next Thursday.
* Kinston d. Southern Wayne 28-7 -- C.J. Brown-Cole's 1-yard touchdown run and Jamie Dove's extra point pulled the Saints to within 12-7 in the third quarter. Kinston added a touchdown late in the third quarter and tacked on another score in the fourth quarter.
Southern Wayne (1-1) is home against Louisburg next Thursday.
* Volleyball: Eastern Wayne d. Kinston 27-25, 25-8 -- Stephanie Smith tallied nine service points and four aces for the Warriors and Erin Falcone pitched in four service points and three aces. Haley Smith had three aces and a kill. Eastern Wayne (5-6 overall) entertains South Johnston on Tuesday.
* Football: Greenwood d. Rosewood 50-14 -- Rasheed Mollette scored four touchdowns for Greenwood (1-0 overall). Hollis Floyd and Justin Cates both provided a score. Greenwood is off next week.
* Football: Eastern Wayne d. Brogden 32-0 -- Christopher Allen found the end zone three times on the ground for the Warriors and Deontre Hammonds and Lavoris Vick both contributed rushing touchdowns. Eastern Wayne entertains Rosewood next Thursday.
* Football: Spring Creek d. Spring Creek 16-0 -- Dennis Swinson got the Gators on the board with a 32-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. Chad Spurgeon provided a 1-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. Marcellius Sutton supplied a pair of two-point conversions, an interception and eight tackles. Zack Whitfield recovered a fumble for Spring Creek. The Gators (1-0 overall) play host to Mount Olive next week.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Spring Creek 25-3, 25-15, 25-16 -- Meredith Burroughs recorded 17 service points for Norwayne and Emily Borel added 11. Norwayne (1-0 overall) plays host to Brogden next Thursday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Greenwood 25-17, 25-18, 26-24 -- Rosewood plays host to Dillard on Monday.
* Soccer: Spring Creek d. Norwayne 5-1-- Eric Carrenos scored on a header off David Vega's assist for the Gators to break a 1-1 tie in the second half and proceeded to score three more goals. David Trejo's goal on Bryan Lopez's assist midway through the first half gave Spring Creek a 1-0 lead. The Gators entertain Brogden on Monday.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne d. Brogden 4-1 -- Luke Smith, Jon Sutter, Joe Herling and Samuel Biggs each scored for the Warriors. Biggs, Sutter and Herling all recorded assists. Jose Ponce scored the lone goal for Brogden. Eastern Wayne (1-0 overall) plays host to Grantham on Monday, while Brogden travels to Spring Creek.