Norris' goal in OT lifts Eagles
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 14, 2009 1:46 PM
WILMINGTON -- John Thomas Norris collected the game-winning goal in overtime as Wayne Christian nipped Coastal Christian 3-2, and claimed the 2009 Tidal Wave Soccer championship.
Coastal grabbed a 2-0 lead on a first-half goal and penalty kick.
The Eagles (10-4-0 overall) answered with Greg Alexander's PK and Norris' goal off Jordan Crouthamel's assist. The score remained deadlocked at 2-2 after regulation.
In the first 10-minute overtime, Norris received a pass from Chase Darden. Coastal's goalie came off his line to challenge and Norris flicked it over his head into the net.
Wayne Christian started tournament play with a 5-1 rout of Bethel Christian Academy. Alexander (one assist) and Darden supplied two goals apiece. Crouthamel tallied one goal, while Davis Taylor and Kevin Wheeler each dished out an assist.
Crouthamel netted two goals and an assist in the Eagles' 3-1 triumph over Wilmington Christian. Tyler Mooring contributed a goal. Alexander and Darden each logged an assist.
The Eagles lost 2-0 to Coastal Christian before winning the decisive rematch.
Wayne Christian visits state-ranked Ridgecroft today.
Rams complete win
FARMVILLE -- Defending Eastern Plains 2-A Conference champion Greene Central dumped Farmville Central 9-0 in a completion of a match suspended by rain.
The Rams (8-4 overall, 6-0 EPC) posted shutouts on four of six singles courts and won two matches when Jaguar players retired.
Lauren Carraway, Elizabeth McLawhorn, Samantha Taylor, Jessica Gray, Abby Sugg and Abbey Dail each earned a singles point for state-ranked Greene Central.
Suggs has a team-leading 10 singles wins, followed by Dail with nine and Carraway with eight.
Taylor-Sugg, Brittany Collie-Hayes Lovett and Carraway-McLawhorn each collected a doubles victory. Carraway-McLawhorn won by default.
Lane Tree LGA
Sally Pope captured game-of-the-week honors during weekly tournament play at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Nan Jarrell and Lou Ellen Flowers won low net and low putts, respectively.
Walnut Creek LGA
Evelyn Rose fired a hole-in-one on No. 13 during weekly tournament play at Walnut Creek Country Club.
Mary Morris witnessed the ace.
Rose also won play of the day, while Morris and Faye Franklin shared low gross in first flight.
Charlotte Campbell won low net.
Linda Cannon and Dot Julian took low gross and low net, respectively, in second flight.
Maureen Prys claimed low putts for the field.
* Girls' tennis: C.B. Aycock 6, East Duplin 3 -- The Golden Falcons won their first match of the season in four tries. Brittany Parrish, Caroline Bone, Kimber Pender, Erin Glass and Misty Edwards each claimed a singles point. Glass-Christlee Hooks picked up Aycock's lone doubles point. CBA visits Eastern Wayne on Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- 1-A Cross Country results
- Local digest
- Chargers battle to a draw
- Greene, Crain share different fortunes on day one
- Reynell added to coach Cougar hoops
- Bray takes lead at Walnut creek Open
- Eastern Wayne football building a solid program
- Britt, Dougherty shine at conference meet
- Breaking News: Eastern Wayne varsity football game delayed
- Local Preps Digest