By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on September 15, 2009 1:46 PM
Rosewood overcame a sluggish first set to defeat Midway 16-25, 25-18, 25-18, 25-20 on Monday night.
Taylor Johnson led the Eagles' attack with eight kills, seven digs and seven blocks. Alyssa Spell recorded seven assists and eight digs in the win. Teammate Megann Tyndall tallied two aces and four digs.
Rosewood (2-6 overall) opens Carolina 1-A Conference play today at Ayden-Grifton.
Faith Christian scored 40 percent of its points from the service line en route to a 21-25, 25-10, 25-17, 25-20 win over Falls Road Baptist of Rocky Mount on Monday night.
Elizabeth Weeks led the Conquerors with 15 service aces and Madison Caudle added 11 aces. Christina Powell tallied 13 assists in the win.
Faith Christian (3-2 overall) will host Berean Christian today.
WCDS whips Waccamaw
WHITEVILLE -- Cameron Ford converted a penalty kick six minutes into the game and the Chargers never looked back as they defeated Waccamaw Academy 8-1 on Monday.
Cameron Ford and Tyson Pearson each recorded two goals and one assist. Jay Grissette also tallied two goals in the win. Ryan Jackson and Max Park each tallied one goal for the Chargers.
Wayne Country Day (8-2 overall) will host Ahoskie Ridgecroft on Wednesday.
Faith Christian came up just one goal short in a 4-3 loss to Falls Road of Rocky Mount on Monday afternoon.
The Conquerors (1-4 overall) host Berean Christian today.
Dawgs run well
Wayne Christian's Connor Jones earned first-place honors with a time of 19 minutes and 29 seconds, but it wasn't enough to propel his team past Princeton on Monday.
The Dawgs claimed the dual meet 21-50 at Waynesborough Park.
Princeton's Will Toler (21:00), Chris Dewberry (22:51), Caleb Hinton (23:04) and Will Denning (23:28) rounded out the top five overall finishers.
On the girls' side of the meet, Princeton won by default because Wayne Christian did not have enough runners to record a team score.
Hattie Dougherty paced the Dawgs with a time of 24:39. Sarah Toler finished second (31:31), while teammate Kayla Kennedy (32:10) ended up third.
RALEIGH -- Wayne Christian swept singles play en route to an 9-0 win over Grace Christian on Monday afternoon.
Brooke Barfield, Faith Sutton, Savannah Sutton, Samantha Reaves, Blake Govan and Taylor Willman each recorded a singles point.
The tandems of Faith Sutton-Barfield, Savannah Sutton-Willman and Reaves-Wall each prevailed in doubles action.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Midway 28-26, 22-25, 26-24 -- Crystal Allen recorded six kills for the Eagles and Scout Anderson dished-out 11 assists. Laura Vinson recorded four aces and three digs. The Eagles (5-2 overall) travel to Ayden-Grifton today.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne d. Rocky Mount 8-1 -- Steven Taylor recorded five goals and two assists as Eastern Wayne routed Rocky Mount. Tyler Muehlenthaler added two markers and Andrew Cummings rounded out the scoring. The Warriors improved to 4-1-2 overall.
* Soccer: Spring Creek d. Brogden 6-0 -- Brian Lopez scored twice in the first half and added a third goal after the intermission for the Gators. Teammate David Vega added two markers in the second half for the Gators. Oscar Osorio also scored. Spring Creek improved to 2-0 overall.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Dillard 25-18, 25-14, 25-18 -- The Eagles improved to 2-0 on the season. Rosewood will host Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Brogden 25-21, 25-21, 16-25, 25-17 -- Dianna Carreno (three aces), Sarah Ford (three kills) and Abby Sutton (four aces) contributed to the Gators' win. Spring Creek (1-1 overall) travels to Mount Olive on Thursday.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 8, Grantham 1 -- Luke Smith had a hat trick (three goals) for the Warriors. Samuel Biggs scored two goals. Ryan Faucett, Jose Perez and Austreberto Ponce had one goal apiece. Joe Herlihy dished out a team-high three assists. Jon Sutter recorded two assists, while Faucett and Justin Cummin each had one assist. Andres Garcia tallied Grantham's lone goal. Eastern Wayne (2-0-0 overall) travels to Rosewood on Thursday, while Grantham (0-1-0) visits Dillard.
Other Local Sports
- 1-A Cross Country results
- Local digest
- Chargers battle to a draw
- Greene, Crain share different fortunes on day one
- Reynell added to coach Cougar hoops
- Bray takes lead at Walnut creek Open
- Eastern Wayne football building a solid program
- Britt, Dougherty shine at conference meet
- Breaking News: Eastern Wayne varsity football game delayed
- Local Preps Digest