By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 18, 2009 1:46 PM
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek earned its first victory of the season by defeating Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton 17-25, 16-25, 25-19, 25-19, 15-11 on Thursday afternoon.
Randi Oxendine paced the Gators with 14 assists, six service aces, two digs and a kill. Kelsey Rogers contributed seven kills, four blocks and four aces. Brittany Collier chipped in eight kills, four assists and three aces.
Alex Benton had seven aces, four kills and two digs.
Spring Creek (1-6, 1-1 Carolina) visits Rosewood on Tuesday.
ERWIN -- Eastern Wayne suffered a 25-11, 25-10, 25-14 loss at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton on Thursday.
Carissa Turner recorded nine digs and Emily Sparks had six.
The Warriors (3-10, 0-2 ECC) go to Charles B. Aycock on Tuesday.
Golden Falcons bagged
FOUR OAKS -- South Johnston turned back Charles B. Aycock 25-14, 25-10, 25-21 on Thursday afternoon.
Brittany Jackson contributed nine kills for the Golden Falcons. Beth Carter had seven kills.
Aycock (1-8, 0-2 ECC) entertains Eastern Wayne on Tuesday.
ERWIN -- Charles B. Aycock downed Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Triton 7-2 on Thursday afternoon.
Ashley Howell, Hollie Baker, Abby Strickland, Harlie Howard, Nicole Kessler and Katie Gurley were each singles winners for the Golden Falcons
The doubles team of Kessler-Cameron Howell was also victorious.
Aycock (7-6, 3-1 ECC) visits Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
Warriors march over Saints
Eastern Wayne cruised past Southern Wayne 9-0 on Thursday afternoon.
Danielle Daniel, Janielle Daniel, Miller Delbridge, Warner Underwood, Amber Miller and Grace Delbridge each contributed singles victories for the Warriors.
The tandems of Daniel Danielle-Underwood, Janielle Daniel-Miller Delbridge and Miller-Grace Delbridge were winners in doubles play.
Eastern Wayne (7-3, 3-0 ECC) plays host to North Lenoir on Tuesday.
Rams rolling along
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central remained unbeaten in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference play with a 9-0 win over visiting Wilson Beddingfield on Thursday.
Lauren Carraway, Elizabeth McLawhorn, Samantha Taylor, Jessica Gray, Abby Sugg and Abbey Dail were each singles winners for the Rams. Sugg continues to lead the team with 12 victories.
The doubles teams of Carraway-McLawhorn, Sugg-Dail and Brittany Collie-Hayes Lovett were all victorious.
Greene Central (10-5 overall, 7-0 EPC) plays host to Edenton Holmes on Monday.
Eagles down Chargers
Wayne Christian defeated Wayne Country Day 8-1 at Wayne Community College on Thursday afternoon.
Brooke Barfield, Faith Sutton, Savannah Sutton, Samantha Reaves, Blake Govan and Taylor Willman were each singles winners for the Eagles.
The tandems of Faith Sutton-Govan and Willman-Gina Wall earned doubles victories.
Sarah Best-Mack Thompson contributed the Chargers' lone point at No. 1 doubles.
Wayne Christian (9-0 overall) travels to Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Monday.
WCS falls short
RALEIGH -- Wayne Christian couldn't hang on to an early lead and then saw its rally come up short in a 3-2 loss at Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Grace Christian on Thursday.
Gregory Alexander's penalty kick in the first half gave the Eagles a 1-0 lead. Grace answered with a PK of its own and later scored on a corner kick for a 2-1 advantage.
Grace extended its lead to 3-1 in the second half before Davis Taylor pulled Wayne Christian to within 3-2. However, the Eagles couldn't get any closer.
Wayne Christian (9-5 overall, 6-2 CCC) visits Faith of Rocky Mount on Monday.
* Wilson Fike 23, C.B. Aycock 14: Adam Pate rushed for 64 yards and two touchdowns for Aycock. Cody Garris chipped in 34 yards on the ground. The Golden Falcons (1-3 overall) go to Wilson Hunt next Thursday.
* Goldsboro 42, Washington 26: Karon Alston, Jalin Spruill and Maurice Coley each rushed for over 100 yards. Alston finished with 122 yards on 16 carries and returned a punt 75 yards for a touchdown. Spruill tacked on 121 yards on the ground and four touchdowns. Maurice Coley added 106 yards rushing and a score. Defensive end Barnhard Cannon recorded 11 tackles and two fumble recoveries. The Cougars visit Southern Wayne next Thursday.
* Louisburg 22, Southern Wayne 6: Louisburg led 22-0 in the fourth quarter before Thomas Kelly's 7-yard touchdown run got the Saints on the board. Southern Wayne (1-2 overall) plays host to Goldsboro next Thursday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Goldsboro 25-11, 25-22: Scout Anderson dished out six assists for the Eagles and Crystal Allen had five kills. Amanda Beckert had four assists. Rosewood (7-2 overall, 2-0 Carolina) entertains Spring Creek on Tuesday while Goldsboro plays host to Princeton.
* Volleyball: Wayne Christian d. Wayne Country Day 25-10, 25-23: Wayne Country Day plays host to Shannon Forest (S.C.) today and Wayne Christian travels to Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Monday.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. North Duplin 25-17, 28-26: Alonna Pate had four kills and five aces for the Rebels. North Duplin (5-3, 1-1 Carolina) is the guest of Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: Triton d. Eastern Wayne 25-10, 25-12: Erika Lee and Allison Newsome turned in solid efforts for the Warriors. Eastern Wayne travels to C.B. Aycock on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: South Johnston d. C.B. Aycock 25-11, 25-8: Madison Mercer and Kayla Williams each recorded four kills for Aycock. The Golden Falcons (3-6 overall, 0-2) play host to Eastern Wayne on Tuesday.
* Football: Eastern Wayne 36, Rosewood 0: Christopher Allen scored three touchdowns for Eastern Wayne and Tray Hammonds added a score. The Warriors (2-0) travel to Spring Creek next Thursday.
* Football: Spring Creek 14, Mount Olive 12: Marcellius Sutton scored on a 6-yard touchdown run for the Gators and added a two-point conversion. Chad Spurgeon provided a touchdown run and made a tackle on a two-point conversion attempt by Mount Olive that helped preserve the win. Jake Ferrell and Nathan Barwick both scored touchdowns for Mount Olive. Spring Creek (2-0) entertains Eastern Wayne next Thursday while Mount Olive is the guest of Brogden.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 10, Rosewood 0: Jon Sutter, Joe Herlihy and Ryan Faucette all scored twice for the Warriors. Collin Allison, Luke Smith, Samuel Biggs and Eddie Pubio each added a goal. Herlihy and Kyle Kyker both contributed assists. Megan Mozingo had four saves in goal for Eastern Wayne. The Warriors (3-0) visit Greenwood on Monday while Rosewood travels to Brogden.
* Soccer: Spring Creek 12, Mount Olive 0: Brandon Gonzales scored three goals and Jesus Briones added a goal and an assist for the Gators. Spring Creek (3-0) goes to Grantham on Monday.
* Volleyball: Eastern Wayne d. Rosewood 26-24, 25-22, 26-24: Rosewood (2-1) visits Brogden on Monday.