Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 23, 2009 1:48 PM
Taylor Johnson pounded out 16 kills as Rosewood turned back Spring Creek 24-26, 25-22, 25-15, 19-25, 15-10 on the Carolina 1-A Conference volleyball scene Tuesday.
Johnson added five digs, five blocks and three service aces. Teammate Stephanie Hall contributed eight assists, three digs and three aces. Chelsea Sawkiw had seven assists and two aces.
Rachael Kornegay added six kills, six blocks and four aces.
Randi Oxendine led the Gators with eight aces, seven assists, five digs and a kill. Brittany Collier pitched in eight assists, five digs, four aces and two kills. Kelsey Rogers had six blocks, four kills, four aces and three digs and Bianca Morado supplied five kills and five blocks.
Rosewood (5-6 overall, 3-0 Carolina) travels to North Duplin on Thursday. The match will be a pink event to support the Kay Yow Foundation and cancer awareness.
Spring Creek (1-7, 1-2) visits Goldsboro on Thursday.
Chargers earn win
NEW BERN -- Wayne Country Day earned a 25-18, 25-13, 25-18 non-conference win at Epiphany on Tuesday.
Kim Martell served a season-high 17 aces to go with 10 digs and five kills. Hannah Pearson recorded nine kills, five digs and two aces. Setter Sterling Coggins had five assists and three kills.
Caraleigh Mewborn added five digs, three kills and an ace.
The Chargers improved to 5-5 overall.
Dogs chase Cougars
Princeton topped Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro 25-12, 25-10, 25-17 on Tuesday.
Sterling Simmons had three kills for the Cougars. Anastazja Harris and Natalya Dungee each recorded three aces.
Goldsboro (1-11 overall, 0-3 Carolina) plays host to Spring Creek on Thursday, while the Bulldogs entertain Ayden-Grifton.
Rebels march past AG
AYDEN -- North Duplin earned 25-22, 13-25, 25-23, 25-23 win over Ayden-Grifton in Carolina 1-A Conference play Tuesday.
Hannah Brock paced the Rebels with 12 assists and two aces. Tearra Ammons had 14 kills, four digs, three blocks and an ace. Angelica Favela supplied six aces, five digs and a kill.
North Duplin (5-4 overall, 2-1 Carolina) entertains Rosewood on Thursday.
WCS sweeps Trinity
Wayne Christian defeated Trinity Christian 25-14, 25-22, 25-16 on Tuesday.
Hanna Kaler handed out 16 assists to go with five kills and two blocks. Jessica Swets had eight digs. Kaitlyn Kosuda and Britney O'Hara each had six kills.
Crissi Brogneaux recorded five aces.
The Eagles (12-4 overall, 8-3 CCC) are the guest of Wilson Christian on Friday.
RALEIGH -- Faith Christian was dealt a 25-19, 25-16, 25-15 loss at Neuse Christian on Tuesday.
Madison Caudle recorded three kills and two digs for the Conquerors and Christina Powell had five assists, three aces and two kills.
Faith (4-5 overall) plays host to Trinity Christian on Oct. 2.
CBA routs SW
DUDLEY -- Charles B. Aycock rolled past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Southern Wayne 9-0 on Tuesday.
Ashley Howell, Hollie Baker, Abby Strickland, Harley Howard, Nicole Kessler and Katie Gurley each provided singles wins for the Golden Falcons.
The doubles teams of Howell-Strickland, Baker-Gurley and Kessler-Amanda Farmer were also victorious.
Aycock (8-6 overall, 4-1 ECC) faces Greenfield today at Barton College.
Jones finishes first
RALEIGH -- Wayne Christian's Connor Jones finished first in the boys' portion of a dual meet at Wake Christian on Tuesday afternoon.
Jones crossed the finish line in 18 minutes, 25 seconds. Teammate Will Massey was fifth in 21:07.
The Eagles' Jennifer Price was second on the girls' side in 23:24. Kayla Kennedy earned sixth place with a time of 28:48 and Christina Foster was seventh in 29:23. Tiffany Price (34:30) and Morgan Matthews (36:45) finished eighth and ninth respectively.
Wake edged Wayne Christian 13-23 on the girls' side.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Goldsboro 25-6, 25-15 -- The Bulldogs play host to Ayden-Grifton on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Spring Creek 25-7, 25-7-- Scout Anderson tallied eight assists for the Eagles and Laura Vinson provided six kills and an ace. Crystal Allen added five kills and Amanda Beckert had four aces and an assist. Rosewood (8-2 overall, 3-0 Carolina) is the guest of North Duplin on Thursday.
* Volleyball: C.B. Aycock d. Eastern Wayne 25-13, 25-12-- Ivy Hartzell supplied six kills for the Golden Falcons and Reagan Herndon had four kills. Aycock (4-5 overall, 1-2 ECC) entertains Triton on Thursday while Eastern Wayne plays host to Southern Wayne.
* Volleyball: Wayne Country d. Epiphany 15-25, 25-22, 25-21 -- Jessica Zhou tallied nine aces and four kills for the Chargers. Sarah Crooks had two aces.
* Volleyball: North Duplin d. Ayden-Grifton 26-24, 25-15 -- Ansley Hill supplied four assists and three aces four the Rebels and Jessica Jones had four kills and two aces. Alonna Pate chipped in three aces and two blocks. North Duplin (6-3 overall, 2-1 Carolina) plays host to Rosewood on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Grantham 19-25, 21-25, 25-23, 25-22, 15-6 -- Olivia Martinez served six aces in the Gators' comeback win. Sarah Ford and Abby Sutton combined for five aces. Dianna Carreno and Sydney Ocker also contributed from the service line. Spring Creek (2-2 overall) improved to 2-1 against WCMSAC Division II competition.
Other Local Sports
- Saints notch first victory
- Reynell hire is good for Cougars
- Quail Unlimited banquet tonight at Lane Tree GC
- New decoys add fun to duck hunting
- More visitors hitting state parks
- League rivals square off to help research
- Local Preps Digest
- Local digest
- Saints open conference play 2-0
- Britt, Dougherty shine at Cliffs of the Neuse