Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 25, 2009 1:47 PM
PRINCETON -- Erin Schultze handed out 17 assists and Princeton defeated Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Ayden-Grifton 26-24, 25-21, 25-8 on Thursday afternoon.
Rebecca Harlan tallied seven kills and six service aces for the Bulldogs. Hannah Wood supplied six kills, one assist and one ace. Traci Bridgers pitched in five aces and one kill.
Princeton (9-4 overall, 4-0 Carolina) is the guest of Rosewood on Tuesday.
Hawks stalk Falcons
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock suffered a 25-10, 25-12, 25-6 loss to Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton on Thursday afternoon.
Brittany Jackson and Beth Carter each had four kills for the Golden Falcons.
Aycock (2-8 overall, 1-3 ECC) visits Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
Gators chomp Cougars
Spring Creek earned its second win of the season by knocking off Goldsboro 25-20, 25-12, 20-25, 25-9 on Thursday afternoon.
Brittany Collier had eight aces, seven kills, four assists and two digs for the Gators. Kelsey Rogers added five kills, two blocks and an ace. Randi Oxendine passed out 12 assists, while Lucy Avila pitched in five digs and three aces.
Natalya Dungee led the Cougars with five kills. Sterling Simmons had three aces.
Spring Creek (2-7 overall, 2-2 Carolina) entertains North Duplin on Tuesday, while Goldsboro (1-12, 0-4) visits Ayden-Grifton.
Rams sink Vikings
KINSTON -- Greene Central steamrolled past Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe Kinston 9-0 on Thursday afternoon.
Elizabeth McLawhorn, Samantha Taylor, Jessica Gray, Abby Sugg, Abbey Dail and Brittany Collie each contributed singles wins for the Rams.
The doubles teams of Taylor-Gray, McLawhorn-Hayes Lovett and Sugg-Dail were also victorious.
The Rams, ranked second in the latest 2-A poll, entertain fifth-ranked Tarboro today.
Eagles cage Cougars
Rosewood turned back Goldsboro in a Carolina 1-A Conference doubleheader on Thursday. The Eagles won the opener 9-0 and took the second match 6-0.
Doubles matches were only contested once.
Katie Hoff, Marieke Parrish, Brooke Bell, Dakato Hersey and Chelsea Sasser each recorded two singles wins for Rosewood. Ashley Henry and Elise McSwain had a singles victory apiece.
The doubles teams of Hoff-Parrish, Bell-McSwain and Hersey-Sasser were also winners.
The Eagles (3-5 overall, 3-1 Carolina) go to Spring Creek on Monday.
Saints down Chargers
Southern Wayne picked up a 6-3 non-conference win at Wayne Country Day on Thursday afternoon.
Jessica Best, Michala Best, Taylor Parker and Mollieanne Kennedy each earned singles victories for the Saints. The doubles teams of Best-Parker and Michala Best-Kennedy were also winners.
Sarah Best and Katherine Roethling provided doubles victories for the Chargers and the team of Best-Mack Thompson also recorded a doubles win.
Edwards paces SW
DUDLEY -- Darian Edwards fired a round of 47 to lead Southern Wayne past Wilson Beddingfield in a non-conference match on Thursday afternoon at Southern Wayne Country Club.
Teammates Savanah Morgan and Mallory Gray finished with rounds of 58 and 61, respectively, as Southern Wayne compiled a team score of 166.
The Bruins were led by Kristen Cuddington's 48 and teammate Chelsea Dawson shot a 61. Marcy McAdean had a 65 as Beddingfield earned score of 174.
The Saints play host to an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference match on Tuesday.
Eagles place 2nd
ROCKY MOUNT -- Wayne Christian finished second in the boys' portion a four-team meet at Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Thursday afternoon.
The Eagles' Connor Jones finished first with a time of 19 minutes, 34 seconds and teammate Noah Kearney was fifth in 22:11. Wayne Christian's Will Massey crossed the line in ninth place with a time of 23:54. Will Garner (25:03) was 12th.
The Eagles recorded a team score of 48 and finished behind Faith of Rocky Mount's 26. Oakwood was third with 71 points and Rocky Mount Prep was fourth with a score of 112.
Wayne Christian's Jennifer Price came home second in the girls' race in 24:50. The Eagles' Christina Foster (32:31) was 16th and Kayla Kennedy (33:11) was 17th.
Faith of Rocky Mount was the only girls team to compile a team score.
Wayne Christian travels to Luther Britt Park in Lumberton for the Flora McDonald Cougar Classic on Saturday.
* Goldsboro d. Southern Wayne 30-20 -- Caron Alston scored four touchdowns for the Cougars. Billy Ham Jr. recorded 11 tackles for the Goldsboro defense and Aquon Butler had nine. Kevondre Kornegay contributed eight tackles and Malik Joyner recorded six tackles and forced two fumbles. The Cougars (5-0 overall) entertain Ayden-Grifton next Thursday.
* Wilson Hunt d. C.B. Aycock 34-6 -- A.J. Mundle provided a touchdown and 125 yards rushing for the Golden Falcons. Adam Pate was 2-for-6 through the air for 25 yards for Aycock, which fell to 1-4 overall.
* Volleyball: Goldsboro d. Spring Creek 25-17, 25-19 -- Eliza Weaver tallied three kills for the Cougars. Bianca Morado provided seven aces and two kills for Spring Creek. Goldsboro (2-10 overall, 1-3 Carolina) is the guest of Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday and the Gators (0-9, 0-4) play host to North Duplin.
* Volleyball: Triton d. C.B. Aycock 25-27, 25-19, 25-15 -- Madison Mercer tallied six kills for the Golden Falcons (4-6 overall, 1-3 ECC) and Kayla Williams and Ivy Hartzell had four kills apiece.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. North Duplin 25-12, 25-15 -- Scout Anderson dished out a team-high six assists, while Rachyle McAlduff had five assists. Kerri Jo Gurley recorded team highs in kills (seven) and service aces (eight). Amanda Beckett, Amanda Howell, Laura Vinson and Summer Jones (four digs) also contributed to the win. Rosewood (9-2 overall) improved to 4-0 in Carolina 1-A Conference play.
* Football: Greenwood d. Grantham 20-0 -- Hunter McCoy hauled in a pair of touchdown passes from Quavis Holloman and Rasheed Malette tacked on a 27-yard touchdown run. Jonathan Otamo led the Greenwood defensive effort. Greenwood (2-0 overall) visits Brogden next week.
* Football: Norwayne d. Grantham 14-8 -- Tyrik Joyner and Larry Taybron both scored touchdowns and Tazmont Groves added a two-point conversion. Hank Smitherman and Groves each had interceptions. Norwayne travels to Mount Olive next Thursday.
* Soccer: Brogden d. Mount Olive 5-0 -- Jose Ponce scored twice and had two assists for the Rams. Teammates Jesus Marcia and Daniel Darajos each added a goal and an assist. Miguel Mozquedo also scored for Brogden. Brogden (2-3 overall) travels to Grantham on Monday.
* Soccer: Spring Creek d. Eastern Wayne 3-1 -- David Trejo scored twice for the Gators and David Vega chipped in an unassisted goal. Edward Rubio scored the Warriors lone goal.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Norwayne 24-26, 25-14, 25-22, 24-26, 16-14 -- Rosewood (4-1 overall) plays host to Mount Olive on Monday.