Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 2, 2009 1:46 PM
ERWIN -- Better late than never.
Eastern Wayne scored three goals in overtime in a 3-0 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference win over Triton on Thursday night.
Carson Daly scored four minutes into the first overtime period on an assist from Benito Avila.
Leslie Cox found the back of the net early in the second overtime on Sang Kim's assist. Cox scored a minute later on Vito Gomez's assist. Eastern Wayne held a 16-4 shots on goal advantage.
The Warriors (5-6-1 overall, 2-2 ECC) play host to North Lenoir on Monday.
Eagles strike early
FAYETTEVILLE -- Wayne Christian got an early goal from Davis Taylor and never looked back in a 5-2 win at Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Northwood Temple on Thursday.
Taylor scored in the opening minutes on an assist from Chase Darden. Taylor scored again in the 32nd minute off a through ball from Bryson Tart.
Jordan Crouthamel used Taylor's assist in the 43rd minute to extend the Eagles lead to 3-1. Taylor completed his hat trick (three goals) in the 68th minute off Darden's cross.
Crouthamel capped Wayne Christian's scoring in the 78th minute.
The Eagles (12-5 overall) improved to 8-3 in CCC play this season.
WCS chops Northwood
FAYETTEVILLE -- Wayne Christian defeated Carolina Christian 1-A Conference rival Northwood Temple 25-11, 25-13, 25-17 on Thursday.
Kaitlyn Kosuda provided five kills and Britney O'Hara recorded eight service aces. Summer Braithwaite tallied six aces and Hanna Kaler contributed eight assists, five aces and four kills.
The Eagles (16-5 overall, 10-3 CCC) entertain Spring Creek today.
RHS sweeps AG
Carolina 1-A Conference leader Rosewood downed Ayden-Grifton 25-21, 25-22, 25-5 on Thursday evening.
Taylor Johnson hammered out 14 kills to go with 11 digs, five aces and four blocks. Alyssa Spell passed out 10 assists, had five digs and four aces. Chelsea Sawkiw chipped in nine assists, four digs and an ace.
Brittney McGill added eight digs. Megann Tyndall had eight digs, four kills and two aces. Rachael Kornegay pitched in six kills, four blocks and a dig.
The Eagles (8-7 overall, 6-0 Carolina) travel to Rocky Mount Prep on Monday.
Dogs chase Gators
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Princeton turned back Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Spring Creek 25-16, 25-21, 25-21 on Thursday.
Erin Schultze distributed 11 assists to go with four aces and a block for the Bulldogs. Nicole Melvin had seven kills and two aces, while Rebecca Harlan had three aces and three kills.
Randi Oxendine had five assists, two aces and two kills for the Gators. Brittany Collier added five kills, four assists, two aces and two blocks.
Spring Creek visits Wayne Christian today while Princeton (10-5 overall, 5-1 Carolina) entertains North Duplin on Tuesday.
FOUR OAKS -- Eastern Wayne was dealt a 25-15, 25-9, 25-14 loss at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe South Johnston on Thursday.
Emily Sparks recorded four digs and a kill and Lura Hulse had two aces.
The Warriors (4-13 overall, 0-6 ECC) play host to Triton on Tuesday.
ND blanks GHS
North Duplin swept Goldsboro 25-15, 25-20, 25-12 on Thursday.
Tearra Ammons led the Rebels with eight kills, seven aces, two blocks and two digs. Hanna Brock chipped in seven assists and three aces. Scarlett Martin contributed five aces and Alonna Pate had six aces.
Natalya Dungee tallied nine kills and five aces for the Cougars.
North Duplin (7-6 overall, 4-2 Carolina) travels to Princeton on Tuesday, while Goldsboro (1-14, 0-6) entertains Rosewood.
WCDS tops Greenfield
Wayne Country Day earned a 25-18, 25-11, 25-15 home victory over Coastal Plains Independent 1-A rival Greenfield on Thursday.
Kim Martell set the tone with 11 aces, five kills and four digs. Hannah Pearson contributed seven kills. Caraleigh Mewborn had seven aces and three kills. Sterling Coggins dished out 12 assists.
The Chargers (7-6 overall, 2-2 CPIC) play host to Wayne Christian on Monday.
Rams claim EPC title
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central wrapped up its 16th consecutive Eastern Plains 2-A Conference championship with a 9-0 win over visiting Farmville Central on Thursday.
Lauren Carraway, Elizabeth McLawhorn, Samantha Taylor, Jessica Gray, Abby Sugg and Abbey Dail each earned singles wins for the Rams.
The doubles teams of Carraway-McLawhorn, Taylor-Sugg and Brittany Colie-Hayes Lovett also prevailed.
Greene Central (16-5 overall, 11-0 EPC) visits North Pitt on Tuesday.
Rebels hunt Gators
SEVEN SPRINGS -- North Duplin picked up a 6-3 win over Carolina 1-A Conference archrival Spring Creek.
Lea Taylor, Alyana Jones, Karen Hidalgo and Flor Estrella were all victorious in singles play for the Rebels. The tandems of Taylor-Jones and Kristen Strickland-Alyssa Weaver were winners in doubles play.
Colleen Finlay and Jordan Cook provided singles victories for the Gators. Finlay-Cook were also winners in doubles competition.
Spring Creek (1-4 overall) plays host to Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday, while North Duplin entertains Rosewood.
Chargers fall short
Wayne Country Day fell just short in a 5-4 loss to Faith Christian of Rocky Mount at Wayne Community College on Thursday.
Sarah Best, Lisa Peacock and Meredith Roethling were each singles winners for the Chargers. The doubles team of Best-Mack Thompson was also victorious.
Wayne Country Day entertains Greenfield on Tuesday.
* Goldsboro d. Ayden-Grifton 38-24 -- Goldsboro's Jalen Spruill rushed for 133 yards and four touchdowns and Sherron Harvin hauled in a 25-yard touchdown pass from Julian Murphy. Karon Alston tacked on 94 yards on the ground. The Cougars (6-0 overall, 1-0 Carolina) rallied from a 16-14 halftime deficit and held on to a 22-16 lead after three quarters. Rikeme Cannon had an interception and recovered a blocked punt for Goldsboro. Adrian Super (nine tackles), Billy Ham (eight tackles), Bernard Cannon, Aquon Butler, Kevondra Kornegay and Malik Joyner also aided the defensive effort.
* Southern Wayne d. Midway 27-8 -- Tyshawn Vann had touchdown runs of 60 and 7 yards for the Saints. Julian Mitchell returned a fumble 10 yards for a score and Ivey Strickland added a 2-yard touchdown run. Southern Wayne (2-3 overall) begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play next Thursday at Triton.
* Volleyball: C.B. Aycock d. North Lenoir 25-23, 25-15 -- Britney Williams supplied six kills for the Golden Falcons and Amber Rose added five aces. Aycock (6-7 overall) visits South Johnston on Tuesday and North Lenoir entertains Southern Wayne.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Ayden-Grifton 25-20, 25-16 -- Scout Anderson paced the Eagles with eight assists and three service aces. Kerri Jo Gurley contributed eight aces, three kills and a dig. Rachyle McAlduff had six assists and five aces and Laura Vinson added eight kills and an ace. Rosewood (11-3 overall, 5-1 Carolina) is the guest of Rocky Mount Prep on Monday.
* Volleyball: South Johnston d. Eastern Wayne 25-18, 25-23 -- Stephanie Smith had three digs and three kills for the Warriors and Haley Smith chipped in three kills. Eastern Wayne (7-11, 1-5 ECC) entertains Triton on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: North Duplin d. Goldsboro 25-21, 25-15 -- Ansley Hill tallied eight assists, three aces and two kills for the Rebels. Caitlin Davis pitched in six aces and five kills and Jessica Jones had five aces and four kills. Mia Owes added four aces and Kailey Odom supplied three aces and three kills.
* Football: Mount Olive d. Norwayne 12-8 -- Jartarvis Bradshaw reeled in a 50-yard touchdown pass from Jamal Pearsall as time expired to lift Mount Olive to a victory. Nathan Barwick added a 20-yard touchdown run. Barwick and Clayton Cashwell led the Mount Olive defense with eight tackles. Bradshaw and Jerry Armwood each had six stops. Mount Olive picked up a victory over Brogden last week when Brogden was forced to forfeit.
* Football: Greenwood d. Brogden 22-6 -- Rasheed Malette scored a pair of touchdowns for Greenwood and Hollis Floyd provided 147 yards rushing and a score. Greenwood (3-0 overall) plays host to Mount Olive next week.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Grantham 25-9, 25-19, 19-25, 25-6 -- The Eagles (6-1) play host to Spring Creek on Monday.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Dillard 21-25, 25-20, 25-22, 25-20 -- Sydney Ocker supplied six aces for Spring Creek and Olivia Martinez had three aces. The Gators (3-3 overall) play host to Rosewood on Monday.
* Soccer: Brogden d. Greenwood 2-0 and 7-1 -- Jose Ponce and Daniel Barajos each scored for Brogden (5-3 overall) in game one. Ponce scored a hat trick (three goals) in game two. Miguel Mozquedo, Darren Aguilar, Francisco Saucedo and Barajos all recorded a goal.
Other Local Sports
- Faith Christian wins NCCSA 2-A volleyball match
- Trojan runners have good weekend
- Mount Olive spikers turn back Queens University-Charlotte
- Friday's N.C. prep football scores
- James Kenan-Pender box
- Pender scores late, snaps Kenan's win streak in conference play
- Greene Central-North Pitt box
- Rams rally past Panthers in EPC 2-A play
- Pirate defense stops Thundering Herd
- Saints net win over Trojans