Faith Christian wins NCCSA 2-A volleyball match
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on October 3, 2009 11:05 PM
Madison Caudle delivered a team-high six kills as Faith Christian upended Trinity Christian-Greenville 25-14, 21-25, 25-20, 26-24 in a N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A volleyball contest Friday evening.
Caudle also recorded four service aces and one block. Zoe Singer contributed three kills, while Courtney Albritton served five aces and put down three kills.
Elizabethe Weeks had six aces. Abigail Pierce logged two kills and two assists, while Christina Powell handed out eight assists.
"The girls did fairly well tonight," said FCA coach Micah Conlon. "It was our first game in awhile because we most of this week off due to a sophomore trip to Washington (DC). Having a couple days of practice helped us iron out some issues we had."
The Conquerors (5-4 overall, 5-4 NCCSA 2-A) travel to Liberty-Durham on Monday.
Eagles top SC
Seniors Kaitlyn Kosuda and Hanna Kaler supplied seven kills apiece as Wayne Christian stopped Spring Creek 20-25, 25-15, 25-18, 25-22 inside Clifford Gymnatorium on Friday evening.
Crissi Brogneaux and Haley Greenwood emerged the defensive leaders with 14 and 10 digs, respectively. Britney O'Hara provided a team-high seven service aces.
Randi Oxendine paced the Gators' attack with nine assists, three aces and four kills. Kelsey Rogers contributed three aces and four kill. Brittany Collier provided two aces, four assists and four kills.
Alex Benton had two aces and five kills. Bianca Morado had two blocks and two kills, while Mitzi Artega registered two kills.
Wayne Christian (17-5 overall) is the guest of county rival Wayne Country Day on Monday. Spring Creek travels to Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday.
W. Christian triumphs
Wayne Christian put the finishing touches on its second consecutive Carolina Christian 1-A Conference regular-season title with a 9-0 conquest of Cape Fear Christian at Herman Park.
Brooke Barfield, Faith Sutton, Savannah Sutton, Samantha Reaves, Blake Govan and Taylor Willman each earned a pro-set (eight-game) singles victory. Barfield-F. Sutton, S. Sutton-Reaves and Willman-Govan each prevailed in their respective doubles match.
Wayne Christian (13-0 overall, 7-0 CCC) visits Fayetteville Chrisitan on Monday.
AHOSKIE -- Ryan Beggs recorded a hat trick (three goals) and No. 4-ranked Ridgecroft shut out No. 2-ranked Wayne Country Day 4-0 on Friday afternoon.
Landon Larabee added a goal for the Rams.
Keeper Cody Neal logged eight saves in goal for WCDS.
The Chargers (11-4-1 overall) dipped to 1-2-1 against Coastal Plains Independent 1-A opposition this season. They entertain two-time defending state champion Greenfield on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: Faith Christian d. Trinity-Greenville 25-14, 25-18 -- Elizabethe Weeks had six aces and one kill. Abigail Pierce recorded a team-leading seven kills to go with two aces. Christina Powell contributed two kills and six aces. The Conquerors (7-0 overall) visit Liberty-Durham on Monday.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Wayne Christian 16-25, 25-23, 25-20 -- Lolita Correno dished out six assists. Bianca Morado had two aces and two kills. Beth Smith served seven aces, while Kelsey Rogers chipped in six aces and nine kills. Amber Edwards, Hannah Keel and Tomieka Darden also contributed to the win.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Greenfield shuts down Chargers
- Eastern Wayne-Southern Wayne tennis box
- Princeton picks up key Carolina 1-A victory at home
- MOC takes two from St. Andrews
- Opinion -- Playoffs define heroes and scapegoats
- Warriors clinch share of third ECC 3-A crown
- Local Digest
- C.B. Aycock holds off Southern Wayne
- Spring Creek shuts out Rosewood 6-0