Local Preps Digest
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on October 7, 2009 1:46 PM
BETHEL -- Greene Central wrapped up its 16th consecutive Eastern Plains 2-A Conference regular-season tennis championship on Tuesday with a 9-0 win at North Pitt.
Lauren Carraway, Elizabeth McLawhorn, Samantha Taylor, Jessica Gray, Abby Sugg and Abbey Dail all contributed singles victories for the Rams.
The doubles teams of Carraway-McLawhorn, Gray-Dail and Brittany Colie-Hayes Lovett were also winners.
Greene Central (17-5 overall, 12-0 EPC) entertains non-conference opponent Cardinal Gibbons on Thursday.
Falcons stalk Hawks
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock rolled past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton 9-0 on Tuesday afternoon.
Hollie Baker, Ashley Howell, Abbey Strickland, Harlie Howard, Nicole Kessler and Katie Gurley were all victorious in singles play.
The doubles tandems of Baker-Howell, Strickland-Gurley and Kessler-Amanda Farmer were also winners.
The Golden Falcons (11-7 overall, 7-2 ECC) play host to Southern Wayne on Thursday.
FC sweeps Falls Road
Faith Christian defeated Falls Road 25-18, 25-17, 25-17 on Tuesday evening.
Elizabethe Weeks tallied a team-high six kills to go with two service aces. Madison Caudle added five kills and four aces. Christina Powell handed out 11 assists and had four aces and two kills. Courtney Allbritten recorded three aces and three kills.
The Conquerors (6-6 overall) visit Bethel Christian next Tuesday.
Carolina 1-A Conference leading Rosewood continued its winning ways with a 25-14, 25-20, 25-17 win at Goldsboro on Tuesday.
Natalya Dungee led the Cougars with eight kills.
Goldsboro (1-15 overall, 0-7) is the guest of Princeton on Thursday while Rosewood visits Spring Creek.
Gators tripped up
AYDEN -- Spring Creek was handed a 25-13, 22-25, 25-17, 25-20 loss at Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday.
Randi Oxendine distributed nine assists and had eight kills. Kelsey Rogers hammered out 11 kills to go with three aces. Brittany Collier chipped in 12 assists, two aces and two kills.
Alex Benton added four kills and two aces. Lucy Avilia supplied four digs and an ace.
Spring Creek (2-9 overall, 2-4 CC) plays host to Rosewood on Thursday.
Road unkind to CBA
FOUR OAKS -- Charles B. Aycock suffered a 25-19, 25-18, 25-21 loss at South Johnston on Tuesday.
Brittany Jackson paced the Golden Falcons (2-12 overall, 1-6 ECC) with nine kills. Beth Carter supplied seven kills, while Rachel Jordan had five aces.
Aycock travels to Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
ERWIN -- Eastern Wayne fell 25-6, 25-9, 25-11 at Triton on Tuesday.
Amythest McPhail contributed three digs, three assists and two kills for the Warriors. Lani Fricks and Lura Hulse both added three digs.
Eastern Wayne (4-15, 0-7 ECC) plays host to C.B. Aycock on Thursday.
WCS runs strong
CARY -- Wayne Christian's Connor Jones earned a second-place finish in the boys' half of a five-team meet on Tuesday afternoon at Umstead Park.
Jones crossed the finish line in 18 minutes, 34 seconds. The Eagles' Mark Sawyer was third in 20:10. Teammate Will Massey had a 13th-place finish in 21:18.
Wayne Christian's Jennifer Price (25:07) tallied a ninth-place finish on the girls' side. Christina Foster (28:49) came home 16th.
Team scores were not available at press time.
The Eagles play host to the Wayne Christian School Invitational on Friday at Waynesborough Park.
* Soccer: Wayne Country Day 1, Greenfield 1 -- Tae Yang Kim scored the Chargers' only goal. WCDS is 7-3-3 overall this season.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Goldsboro 25-9, 25-14 -- Rosewood visits Spring Creek on Thursday while Goldsboro (2-12, 1-6 CC) is the guest of Princeton.
* Volleyball: Faith Christian d. Falls Road 25-8, 25-12 -- Faith (8-1) is the guest of Bethel Christian next Tuesday.
* Volleyball: Ayden-Grifton d. Spring Creek 25-18, 25-16 -- Brittany Collier recorded eight assists, two aces and a dig for the Gators. Tomeika Darby and Kelsey Rogers both pitched in four kills.
* Volleyball: South Johnston d. C.B. Aycock 25-14, 25-13 -- Madison Mercer finished with five kills for the Golden Falcons. Aycock (6-8, 3-4) goes to Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Triton d. C.B. Aycock 25-15, 25-12 -- Stephanie Smith had four digs and two kills for the Warriors. Allyson Newsome added three kills and Erika Lee provided two kills. Eastern Wayne (7-12 overall, 1-6) entertains C.B. Aycock on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. North Duplin -- Alonna Pate tallied five digs and four kills for the Rebels.
Other Local Sports
- Rosewood doesn't get bogged down at Spring Creek
- Local activist 'expresses' views on Neuse River
- Fishing report
- Effort seeking to place bluefin on endangered list
- Spot run passes fun through generation
- Local Preps Digest
- Golden Falcons take three-set win over Warriors
- Goldsboro native gets NCHSAA's top post
- Aycock cruises at home
- Local digest