10/08/09 — Rosewood settles for tie with Ayden-Grifton

View Archive

Rosewood settles for tie with Ayden-Grifton

By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on October 8, 2009 1:47 PM

Rosewood ran out of time.

The Eagles rallied from a two-goal deficit and settled for a 2-2 overtime draw against Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton on Wednesday evening.

Rosewood led 1-0 after one half before the Chargers scored twice in less than 20 minutes at Branch Pope Field. Joe Lopez took Michael Baker's cross in the 18-yard box and beat Eagles keeper Will Grantham to tie the game at 1-1 in the 46th minute.

Ayden-Grifton (4-3-2 overall, 2-0-1 CC) went ahead in the 63rd minute as Fernando Ascino won the ball inside the 18 and slipped it past Grantham in the bottom right corner.

"We just lost our marks in the back," said Rosewood head coach Daniel Mitchell. "We were out of position or we were just getting caught ball-watching. We just looked a step slow tonight to me from what we have been."

Tentative passing negated the Eagles' ability to score throughout most of the second half. Corner kicks in the 66th and 68th minutes couldn't produce goals.

Rosewood (4-7-2, 2-1-1) finally ended its offensive frustration in the 74th minute when Antonio Henriques took a pass from Ceb Buchan and raced through the Chargers' defense to record the game-tying goal.

"I thought that goal gave us the momentum," said Mitchell. "We definitely pressed and looked dangerous at the end of regulation, and I thought we looked dangerous in the overtime as well."

Scott Pate nearly gave the Eagles the lead late in the first overtime period when his shot hit the crossbar. Zach Behrend's tailing shot four minutes into the second extra session was turned away by Ayden-Grifton keeper Jack Dail.

Pate's blast in the 94th minute was tipped over the crossbar by Dail. Will Caughron's shot off a corner kick missed wide.

"I thought we made some adjustments in the second half and were a little more organized. (We) were able to get the ball in their end and build some attack," said Mitchell. "In the latter end of regulation and into overtime I thought we were playing really well. We had a couple of opportunities we just couldn't get anything on frame."

The Chargers appeared to take the lead just three minutes into the game, but had the goal erased on an offsides call. Henriques got Rosewood on the board in the sixth minute after scoring on a cross from Pate inside the 18-yard box.

The Eagles travel to Princeton next Wednesday to begin second-half conference play. Rosewood won the first meeting 6-2 at Branch Pope Field.