Local Preps Digest
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on October 9, 2009 1:46 PM
PRINCETON -- Princeton stayed in the hunt for the Carolina 1-A Conference volleyball regular-season title with a 25-12, 25-10, 25-18 victory over Goldsboro on Thursday evening.
Erin Schultze supplied the Bulldogs with 10 assists, two kills and two service aces. Kaitlyn Peedin added 19 digs, while Rebecca Harlan had six aces and a kill.
Natalya Dungee recorded five kills for the Cougars. Teammate Holly Pittard added three kills.
Princeton (12-5 overall, 7-1 CC) goes to Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday, while Goldsboro (1-16, 0-8) travels to Spring Creek.
Wayne Christian celebrated senior night with a 25-15, 25-15, 25-13, non-conference win over Faith Christian of Rocky Mount inside Clifford Gymnatorium on Thursday evening.
Senior Kaitlyn Kosuda recorded a team-high eight kills to go along with a block and an ace. Fellow senior Crissi Brogneaux pitched in seven digs and four aces. Hanna Kaler had 14 assists, six aces and four kills.
The Eagles (19-5 overall, 10-3 CCC) visit Epiphany today.
North Duplin defeated
CALYPSO -- North Duplin was dealt a 25-13, 25-22, 25-18 loss by Carolina 1-A Conference rival Ayden-Grifton on Thursday.
Tearra Ammons recorded five kills. Hanna Brock turned in four assists and three aces. Angelica Favela contributed eight aces and a kill.
The Rebels (7-8 overall, 4-4 CC) visit Rosewood on Tuesday.
Chargers earn win
Wayne Country Day turned back visiting Epiphany 25-12, 25-15, 25-21 on Thursday.
Hannah Pearson had 10 kills. Kim Martell finished with 10 digs, nine kills and four aces. Sterling Coggins dished out 15 assists.
The Chargers (8-7 overall) entertain North Johnston next Wednesday.
WCS, FRM tie
The senior day victory will have to wait.
Wayne Christian battled No. 4-ranked Faith Christian of Rocky Mount to a 1-1 draw on Thursday afternoon.
After Faith jumped out to a 1-0 lead, Gregory Alexander scored off Chase Darden's assist to even the score at 1-1 in the 30th minute.
Chase King recorded 10 saves in goal for the Eagles.
Wayne Christian (13-5-1 overall) begins Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament play on Tuesday.
EPC champs fall
SNOW HILL -- Eastern Plains 2-A Conference champion Greene Central fell 5-4 to visiting Cardinal Gibbons on Thursday afternoon.
Cardinal Gibbons (18-5 overall) entered the match ranked as the state's No. 2 team in 3-A play, while the Rams sit at No. 2 in on the 2-A level.
Samantha Taylor, Jessica Gray and Abby Sugg were singles winners for Greene Central. Gray-Abbey Dail earned the Rams' lone doubles point.
Greene Central (17-6 overall) plays host to Greenfield today.
Eagles down Gators
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Rosewood earned a 7-2 victory at Carolina 1-A Conference foe Spring Creek on Thursday.
Katie Hoff, Marieke Parrish, Brooke Bell, Chelsey Sasser and Victoria Holzkamm were all winners in singles play for the Eagles.
The tandems of Hoff-Parrish and Bell-Elise McSwain also prevailed.
Jordan Cook picked up a singles victory for the Gators and the doubles team of Jessica Lupton and Quatisha Lanier was also a winner.
Spring Creek (2-5 overall) entertains Ayden-Grifton on Monday.
Rosewood improved to 5-5 overall.
* Southwest Onslow d. Goldsboro 32-22 -- Goldsboro rallied from a 22-0, third-quarter deficit but couldn't close the gap. The Cougars' Sherard Harvin hauled in a 35-yard touchdown pass from Julius Murphy in the third quarter. Karan Alston added a 55-yard touchdown reception and Jalin Sprueill had a 5-yard touchdown run. Adrian Super paced the defense with 12 tackles and Billy Hamm had eight. The Cougars (6-1 overall) play host to Rosewood next Thursday.
* C.B. Aycock d. North Lenoir 32-13 -- A.J. Mundle rushed for 173 yards and three touchdowns for the Golden Falcons. Charquille Parks added 53 yards on the ground and a score. Christian Sullivan returned an interception for a touchdown and Dylan Hinnant also had an interception. Aycock (2-4 overall, 1-0 ECC) entertains South Johnston next Thursday.
* Triton d. Southern Wayne 9-0 -- Triton capped the game's opening drive with a 7-yard touchdown run and recorded a safety in the third quarter. Southern Wayne (2-4 overall, 0-1 ECC) visits North Lenoir next Thursday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Spring Creek 25-15, 25-9 -- Crystal Allen tallied 11 kills for the Eagles. Scout Anderson handed out 15 assists and had three aces. Kerri Jo Gurley chipped in seven kills and Rachyle McAlduff contributed six assists. Summer Jones added six digs. Rosewood (11-5 overall, 7-1 CC) entertains North Duplin on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: C.B. Aycock d. Eastern Wayne 25-13, 25-18 -- Amber Rose supplied eight aces for the Golden Falcons. Madison Mercer and Britney Williams each had five kills. Aycock (7-8 overall, 4-4 ECC) visits Triton on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: Ayden-Grifton d. North Duplin 25-23, 16-25, 25-22 -- Ansley Hill finished with nine aces, four digs and a kills for the Rebels. Alonna Pate pitched in three kills and three digs. Caitlin Davis had three digs and two kills and Mia Owens provided three kills. North Duplin goes to Rosewood on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: Wayne Country Day d. Epiphany 12-25, 25-23, 25-21 -- Hannah Pearson provided seven kills for the Chargers (4-6 overall, 3-2 CPIC). Sarah Crooks added five aces and five kills.
* Football: Spring Creek d. Brogden 20-16 -- Dennis Swinson scored on a 30-yard run for the Gators. Marcellius Smith added a 6-yard score and Chad Spurgeon found the end zone from three yards out. Terrell Johnson and Wyatt Ocker each recorded five tackles for Spring Creek. The Gators (3-2) travel to Grantham next Thursday.
* Football: Greenwood d. Mount Olive 28-20 -- Quavis Holloman tossed touchdown passes for Greenwood to Hunter McCoy and Rasheed Mallete. Hollis Floyd tacked on a 67-yard touchdown run and Brit Lane ran in a two-point conversion. Greenwood plays host to Eastern Wayne next Thursday.