Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 11, 2009 2:00 AM
Wayne Christian finished second overall as a team at Waynesboro Park on Friday.
Kerr-Vance Academy won the boys event with 28 points while Wayne Christian (47) ran second and Franklin Academy (51) took third overall.
Connor Jones was the meet's top finisher in 18 minutes and 28 seconds. Mark Sawyer (21:20) finished seventh overall and Will Massey (21:38) crossed the finish line in ninth.
Wayne Christian finished first among the three girls teams with 20 total points.
Jennifer Price ran first overall in 24 minutes and 43 seconds. Kayla Kennedy (28:21) finished fourth and Christina Foster (29:14) claimed fifth place.
The Eagles will be back at Waynesboro Park on Wednesday when they host Faith of Rocky Mount and Hobgood Academy.
Wayne Christian completed its regular season schedule with a 25-17, 25-19, 25-12 win over Epiphany.
Brittany O'Haraled a balanced team effort woth six kills and six aces. Kaitlyn Kosuda and Jessica Swets each finished with five kills each. Hanna Kaler tallied 14 assists.
The Eagles finished the regular season 20-5 overall (10-3 CCC).
Wayne Christian will host the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament beginning on Tuesday at 5 p.m.
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central continued its impressive play with a 9-0 non-conference tennis victory over Greenfield on Friday afternoon.
Lauren Carraway tallied a 6-0, 6-0 win at number one singles and the Rams never looked back.
Elizabeth McLawhorn, Samantha Taylor, Jessica Gray, Abby Sugg and Abbey Dail each earned a singles point respectively.
The tandems of Carraway-McLawhorn, Taylor-Sugg and Gray-Dail each prevailed in doubles play.
Greene Central (18-6 overall) will host C.B. Aycock on Monday at 3:30 p.m.
* Eastern Wayne d. South Johnston 38-24 -- Javon Darden piled-up 168 yards and one touchdown as the Warriors topped the Trojans. Brandon Roseboro added 113 yards and a score in the win. Quarterback Nolan James completed eight passes for 119 yards and two touchdowns.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Brogden 25-22, 25-13, 25-27, 19-25, 15-10 -- Olivia Martinez served eight aces in the second set for the Gators. Sarah Ford recorded four aces, while teammates Sydney Ocker and Stormy Westbrook logged three aces apiece. Anna Haggerty collected one kill. The Gators (4-4 overall) improved to 3-2 against WCMSAC Division II opposition this season.
Other Local Sports
- Wednesday preps
- Saints topple Warriors
- Rosewood clinches share of league crown
- Bartley earns match point
- ECC golf scores
- Golden Falcons, Simmons run away with 'unofficial' title
- Tuesday preps
- Triton tops Eastern Wayne 2-0
- South Johnston hands C.B. Aycock first league loss
- Whitfield excited about executive director position with NCHSAA