By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on October 14, 2009 1:46 PM
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Dante Ortiz collected two goals and defending Class 1-A Carolina Conference champion Spring Creek turned back Ayden-Grifton 4-0 in men's soccer action Tuesday afternoon.
Antonio Avila and Jesus Sandoval each scored on goal for the Gators.
Keeper Angel Sanchez logged his eighth shutout of the season, including his fourth against conference opposition.
The Gators (8-2-1 overall, 4-0-0 CC) begin second-half conference play at home Monday against Princeton.
Regular-season champion Wayne Christian needed penalty kicks to upend Community Christian 5-3 during quarterfinal-round play of the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament.
Jordan Crouthamel, Greg Alexander and Chase Darden each scored in the shootout session as the top-seeded Eagles advanced to the semifinals.
Davis Taylor posted both goals in regulation. Crouthamel provided an assist.
Wayne Christian improved to 14-5-1 overall this season.
PRINCETON -- Abraham Arias notched two goals and Princeton doubled up Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro 4-2 for its first-ever school victory in men's soccer on Monday.
Ethan Anderson converted a penalty kick and Nathan Woodward added one goal for the Dawgs, who improved to 1-9-1 overall this season. Tyler Daniels supplied one assist.
Keeper Derek West recorded four saves for Princeton.
The Dawgs entertain archrival Rosewood today. Kickoff is 7 p.m. at the Fred Bartholomew Athletic Complex.
WCS marches on
Wayne Christian advanced to the semifinals of the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament with a 16-25, 25-14, 25-12, 25-18 home victory over Community Christian on Tuesday evening.
Kaitlyn Kosuda recorded a career-high 15 kills, while Britney O'Hara tallied seven kills. Crissi Brogneaux supplied 11 digs and Haley Greenwood had nine digs.
The Eagles (21-5 overall) play in the semifinals at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday at Wayne Christian.
Faith Christian ended its regular season with a 20-25, 25-8, 25-21, 25-15 home loss to Bethel Christian on Tuesday.
Christina Powell handed out nine assists for the Conquerors to go with three aces and two kills. Elizabethe Weeks provided four kills and two aces, while Madison Caudle had four blocks and three kills.
Courtney Albritten added five kills and two aces. Zoe Singer chipped in four blocks and two kills.
Faith (6-7, 6-6) begins its postseason on Thursday when it plays host to Falls Road.
AYDEN -- After dropping sets two and three, Princeton rallied for a 25-20, 21-25, 21-25, 25-9, 15-6 win at Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday.
Kaitlyn Peedin recorded 35 digs and Erin Schultze had 21 assists. Hannah Wood contributed six aces, three assists and two kills. Traci Bridgers added five aces and two kills.
Rebecca Harlan chipped in seven kills and three aces. Jenna Aycock added six kills.
The Bulldogs (13-5 overall, 8-1 CC) entertain Rosewood on Thursday.
Gators chomp Cougars
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek earned a 25-18, 25-8, 25-20 victory over Goldsboro on Tuesday.
Kelsey Rogers supplied 10 kills, four aces and three blocks for the Gators. Randi Oxendine contributed 10 assists, four aces and a kill. Brittany Collier added five kills, three aces and two aces.
Natalya Dungee and Anastazja Harris each recorded four kills for the Cougars. Yunely and Yusley Lares both tallied three aces.
Spring Creek (3-10 overall, 3-6 CC) visits North Duplin on Thursday, while Goldsboro (1-17, 0-9) entertains Ayden-Grifton today.
Triton downs CBA
ERWIN -- Triton made short work of Charles B. Aycock in a 25-8, 25-9, 25-18 win on Tuesday.
Tia Jackson tallied six kills for the Golden Falcons. Rachel Jordan provided five aces.
Aycock (3-13 overall, 2-7 ECC) entertains Southern Wayne on Thursday.
Eagles boys prevail
Wayne Christian's Connor Jones was the second male runner to cross the finish line in a tri-meet at Waynesborough Park on Tuesday as the Eagles captured the boys portion of the competition.
Jones had a time of 20 minutes and 19 seconds and Wayne Christian was the only boys' team to field the five runners needed to earn a team score. Faith Christian of Rocky Mount and Hobgood also competed in the event.
The Eagles' Mark Sawyer (22:12) finished third and Will Massey (22:28) was fifth. Will Garner came home sixth in 23:34 and Nick Sullivan (26:41) was eighth.
On the girls' side, Wayne Christian's Jennifer Price finished sixth with a time of 26:23. Christina Foster (28:18) was ninth and Kayla Kennedy (28:52) was 10th.
Lane Tree LGA
KINSTON -- Libby Newsome won first low net in the second flight at the Eastern League tournament contested at Falling Creek. Susan Davis captured first low gross.
In the third flight, Betty Jean Gurley took home first low gross and Linda Hillburn won second low net. In the fourth flight, Barbara Hill was the winner of second low gross and Bunkie Parker captured low putts.
During weekly tournament play at Lane Tree, Debbie Edgerton was the game-of-the-week winner. Susan Davis earned low net and Linda Watson took home low putts.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. North Duplin 21-25, 25-17, 26-24 -- Scout Anderson fueled the Eagles offense with 23 assists and a kill. Rachyle McAlduff passed out 21 assists and had two digs and two kills. Laura Vinson contributed 16 kills and two digs. Kerri Jo Gurley supplied nine kills and two digs. Crystal Allen had seven kills and Summer Jones pitched in seven digs and four kills. Kailey Odom provided eight digs and three aces for the Rebels. Leighann Torres had digs and two aces and Alonna Pate recorded four kills.
* Volleyball: Faith Christian d. Bethel Christian 25-13, 25-11 -- Elizabethe Weeks compiled nine aces and two kills. Christina Powell added nine assists and three kills. Katie Watson had three kills. Faith finished the season 9-1 for the second straight year.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Goldsboro 25-18, 25-19 -- Lolita Correno finished with 13 aces, nine assists and two kills for the Gators (2-11, 1-8 CC). Tomieka Darden added five kills and Blair Edwards and Hannah Keel both had three aces. Jane Hamilton provided seven aces for the Cougars (2-14, 1-8 CC).
* Volleyball: Triton d. C.B. Aycock 25-14, 25-9 -- Madison Mercer finished with three kills for the Golden Falcons. Amber Rose contributed three aces. Aycock (7-9, 4-5 ECC) plays host to Southern Wayne on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Mount Olive 25-13, 23-15, 25-12 -- Norwayne (7-1, 3-0 Div. I) entertains Dillard on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Dillard 25-8, 25-19, 25-23 -- The Eagles (9-1) play host to Brogden on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Princeton earns sweep, portion of league crown
- Opinion -- Panthers must make better decisions
- Shrimping industry big business in Tar Heel state
- Marsh hen hunting on a new moon tide
- Moye verball commits
- North Duplin rolls past rival, grabs playoff spot
- Trojans east past Elizabeth City State
- Local Preps Digest
- C.B. Aycock spikers keep postseason hopes alive
- Local digest