Trojans east past Elizabeth City State
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on October 16, 2009 1:46 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Alicia Mote supplied a double-double as Mount Olive College upended in-state rival Elizabeth City State University 25-13, 22-25, 25-20, 25-22 inside Kornegay Arena on Thursday evening.
Mote pounded out 19 kills and recorded 14 digs in the four-set affair, which was the 1,000th match for current head coach Cole Tallman. The first-year coach improved to 682-318 overall during his career after several stops on the college and JUCO levels.
Senior setter Joanie Werling dished out 47 assists to go along with four kills and six blocks. Racey Bartley contributed 14 kills and four blocks, while Caitlin Skislak earned a double-double -- 13 kills, 10 digs.
Kailey Preece served a match-high three aces.
Mount Olive avenged a five-set, road loss to the Vikings earlier this season.
The Trojans (11-14 overall) return to action Oct. 27 at Coker (S.C.) College.
WILSON -- Mount Olive goalie Lyndsey McIntyre recorded seven saves in a 0-0, double-overtime draw against Conference Carolinas rival Barton on the women's soccer scene Thursday evening.
The Trojans (5-7-3 overall, 3-3-2 CC) claimed sole possession of sixth place in the league and remained in contention for a berth in the season-ending conference tournament.
Mount Olive entertains Lees-McRae on Saturday. Kickoff is 4 p.m. at Amon Field.
Other Local Sports
- Eagles' Jones places 2nd in four-team cross country meet
- Jones' fourth-quarter TD lifts James Kenan to road win
- Friday's prep football boxscores
- Alexander's goal lifts Wayne Christian to CCC boys' soccer tournament crown
- Southern Wayne-North Lenoir box
- Southern Wayne snaps 15-game skid
- Early turnovers fuel Goldsboro's win over Rosewood
- Friday's N.C. prep football scores
- Goldsboro-Rosewood box
- East Carolina beats up on hapless Rice