Wayne County players fare well in ECC girls' tennis tournament
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on October 17, 2009 11:07 PM
Wayne County, once again, will be well represented in the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A eastern regional tennis tournament this week.
Eastern Wayne's top-seeded doubles of Danielle Daniel-Warner Underwood emerged the Eastern Carolina Conference champions with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over teammates Amber Miller-Grace Delbridge.
The four players qualified for the regional.
Joining them are Charles B. Aycock's tandem of Abbey Strickland-Katie Gurley and Triton's team of Megan Byrd-Georganna Gower.
On the singles side, two players each from Eastern Wayne and Aycock will advance to regional competition. Second-seeded Hollie Baker and Ashley Howell qualified for the Golden Falcons. Miller Delbridge and Janielle Daniel are the Warriors' representatives.
Daniel and Baker were scheduled to meet in the ECC championship match, but it was not played. Baker gets the higher seed for the regional.
Other Local Sports
- Eagles' Jones places 2nd in four-team cross country meet
- Jones' fourth-quarter TD lifts James Kenan to road win
- Friday's prep football boxscores
- Alexander's goal lifts Wayne Christian to CCC boys' soccer tournament crown
- Southern Wayne-North Lenoir box
- Southern Wayne snaps 15-game skid
- Early turnovers fuel Goldsboro's win over Rosewood
- Friday's N.C. prep football scores
- Goldsboro-Rosewood box
- East Carolina beats up on hapless Rice