By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on October 29, 2009 1:47 PM
AYDEN -- Jesus Sandoval supplied two goals as state-ranked Spring Creek defeated Ayden-Grifton 5-0, and claimed its third Carolina 1-A Conference boys' soccer championship in the past four seasons Wednesday evening.
The Gators (14-2-1 overall, 8-0-0 CC) did not surrender a goal in league play this fall.
Antonio Avila, Omar Zaveleta and Victor Ortiz also scored for Spring Creek, ranked No. 3 in the N.C. Soccer Coaches Association 1-A poll.
Keeper Angel Sanchez recorded his 12th shutout of the season.
Spring Creek returns to action at home Nov. 4 in the N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs. The first-round opponent has not been determined.
* Soccer: Spring Creek 4, Eastern Wayne 3 -- Spring Creek got a late goal from Brayan Lopez with just two minutes to play as the Gators (9-1 overall) topped the Warriors. The game-winner was Lopez' second goal of the game. David Trejo and David Vega each added one goal in the win. Joseph Herlihy scored twice for Eastern Wayne and Jose Perez added one marker. Spring Creek will battle Rosewood today while Eastern Wayne hosts Norwayne.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Dillard 25-23, 21-25, 25-8, 25-21 -- Olivia Martinez tallied five service aces in the victory. Lindsay Player led the Gators with four digs and Sarah Ford tallied two kills. Spring Creek (7-5 overall) travels to Rosewood today.
Other Local Sports
- Week 11 football briefs
- Week 11 football boxes
- Overachieving Chargers fall to nemesis Faith Christian-RM
- SW-EW game story
- Southern Wayne-Eastern Wayne box
- Princeton-Ayden-Grifton box
- First-play trickery turns into Bulldawg treat
- Lady Trojans fall to Anderson
- Mount Olive men play to 1-1 tie with No. 13 Anderson
- Local golf