Local Preps Digest
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on October 30, 2009 1:46 PM
BURGAW -- Rosewood's volleyball season came to a close in a 25-8, 25-12, 25-16 loss on Thursday at Pender in the third round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A volleyball playoffs.
Megan Tyndall provided 13 digs for the Eagles. Senior middle hitter Taylor Johnson had nine digs, six kills and one assist.
Alyssa Spell supplied eight assists and eight digs. Stephanie Hall chipped in six digs. Brittney Cabala tallied five digs.
The Eagles finished the year 15-10 overall.
* Football: Goldsboro 42, Rosewood 6 -- Karan Alston rushed for 167 yards and two touchdowns on just five carries as the Cougars (9-1 overall) clinched the Carolina 1-A Conference championship. Jalen Sprueill added a pair of rushing touchdowns and Bernard Cannon added a score on the ground. Julius Murphy tossed a 24-yard touchdown pass to Rodney Cook. Billy Ham led the defense with eight tackles.
* Football: Spring Creek d. Rosewood 38-14 -- Marcellius Sutton scored four rushing touchdowns and also intercepted a pass and recovered a fumble for the Gators. Dennis Swinson tacked on a 45-yard touchdown run and had an interception. Spring Creek (4-3, 3-1) secured its first winning season in five years and claimed a share of the Wayne County Middle School Athletic Conference Division II championship with Mount Olive and Grantham.
* Football: Dillard d. Greenwood 30-8 -- Tyler West scored on a 60-yard touchdown run for Greenwood. Juan Brown tacked on a 60-yard kickoff return for a score. Riccardo Woodard returned an interception 50 yards for a touchdown. Toric Best added a 2-yard score on the ground. Temarco Suggs and West paced the defense. Dillard (7-0 overall) finished the season as WCMSAC Division I champion.
* Football: Mount Olive d. Grantham 30-16 -- Mount Olive's Ty Pearsall scored two rushing touchdowns and returned an interception 100 yards for a score. Nathan Barwick supplied a 25-yard touchdown run and three two-point conversions. Clayton Cashwell recorded 11 tackles and a fumble recovery. Barwick chipped in eight tackles and Pearsall had five stops. The Chargers (4-3 overall, 3-1 WCMSAC Division II) earned a share of the Division II title with Grantham (3-4, 3-1) and Spring Creek.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 1, Norwayne 0 -- Joe Herlihy scored unassisted for the game's only goal. The Warriors (8-3 overall, 3-1) clinched the WCMSAC championship with the win.
* Volleyball: Greenwood d. Dillard 14-25, 25-14, 25-22, 25-22 -- Monique Clark recorded five aces for Greenwood and Monica Mack provided four kills. Greenwood finished its season at 6-8.
* Soccer: Rosewood d. Spring Creek 25-6, 23-25, 25-23, 25-15 -- The Eagles (14-1 overall, 7-0 WCMSAC Division II) play host to Grantham on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Week 11 football briefs
- Week 11 football boxes
- Overachieving Chargers fall to nemesis Faith Christian-RM
- SW-EW game story
- Southern Wayne-Eastern Wayne box
- Princeton-Ayden-Grifton box
- First-play trickery turns into Bulldawg treat
- Lady Trojans fall to Anderson
- Mount Olive men play to 1-1 tie with No. 13 Anderson
- Local golf