Eastern Wayne advances to round two
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on November 5, 2009 1:46 PM
SOUTHPORT -- Eastern Wayne opened the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A boys' soccer playoffs with a 3-1 victory over South Brunswick on Wednesday night.
The Warriors (10-10-1 overall) travel to No. 1-ranked and unbeaten Jacksonville (25-0-0) for a second-round contest Saturday. Kickoff is 6 p.m.
Eastern Wayne opened the scoring in the eighth minute when Sang Kim collected a loose ball and buried it in the back of the net. Nick Baker added an insurance goal before the intermission, and the Warriors put the game away on Leslie Cox's goal in the 64th minute.
South Brunswick netted its only goal in the game's closing minutes when Tyler Evans snuck a shot past Eastern Wayne keeper Joe Dicesare.
Dicesare finished with four saves.
Other Local Sports
- North Duplin stops Gators in Carolina Conference regular-season finale
- Week 12 prep football boxes
- Rangle leads Spring Creek past Southwest Onslow
- Princeton-Rosewood box
- Gurganus passes Dawgs past archrival Rosewood
- MOC spikers dump Converse
- Friday's N.C. prep football scores
- Goldsboro-AG boxscore
- Goldsboro claims Carolina Conference football title outright
- Warriors snap 14-game skid on gridiron