By From staff reports
Published in Sports on November 17, 2009 1:47 PM
From staff reports
FAYETTEVILLE -- Faith Christian overcame 29 turnovers and a cold shooting performance in a season-opening, 30-24 victory over Cornerstone Christian on Monday evening.
The Conquerors shot just 25 percent from the field, but played stifling defense throughout.
Faith Christian (1-0 overall) returns to action Friday in the Southeastern Tournament at Zebulon. First-round opponents and game times have not been announced.
ROCKY MOUNT -- Short-handed Goldsboro couldn't overcome early foul trouble and dropped its season opener, 63-56 against Rocky Mount Prep on Monday evening.
It was the debut of Cougars head coach Patrick Reynell.
Resean Brewington paced Goldsboro's attack with 25 points, while Robert Kornegay scored 15. Mike Langston (seven points), James Williams (four), Devonte White (three) and Davin Powell (two) also scratched in the scoring column.
Goldsboro athletics director Rod Peterson announced Monday afternoon that Friday's game with Southern Wayne has been postponed until January. The Cougars return home Nov. 24 to play Jones Senior.
FAYETTEVILLE -- Faith Christian opened its girls' basketball season with a 30-23 win over Cornerstone Christian on Monday night.
Madison Caudle led the Conquerors with a double-double -- 13 points, 13 rebounds. Katie Stevens added 13 points and seven boards, while teammate Elizabeth Weeks chipped in four points.
Faith Christian (1-0 overall) travels to Zebulon for the Southeastern Tournament, which begins Friday.
Walnut Creek LGA
Mary Ann Sutton emerged the play-of-the-day winner on the Walnut Creek Country Club links.
Jewel Ivey and Novella Zambelli won low gross and low net, respectively, in first flight. Faye Franklin took low putts.
In second flight, Evelyn Rose seized low gross and Nancy Satterfield captured low net.
* Boys' basketball: Faith Christian 32, Cornerstone Christian 16 -- Brandon Jones led the Conquerors with 10 points. Wes Caudle added eight points in the win. Faith Christian (1-0 overall) held Cornerstone scoreless in the first quarter.
* Girls' basketball: Faith Christian 22, Cornerstone Christian 14 -- Kayla Johnson scored six points for the Conquerors (1-0 overall) and teammate Katie Watson added four points.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 61, RM Prep 53 -- Sh'quille Wright led three Cougars in double figures with 17 points. Octavius Alston added 16 points, while Damarian Henderson scored 14. Tevorise Hall contributed nine. It was Goldsboro's season-opening game.
* Boy's basketball: Mount Olive d. Norwayne 54-29 -- Jartavis Bradshaw led all scorers with 21 points for Mount Olive. Ty Pearsall added a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds in the victory. Mount Olive (1-0 overall) will travel to Dillard on Thursday.
* Girl's basketball: Norwayne d. Mount Olive 22-14 -- Quanika Artis paced the Cobras with 10 points while teammate Kayla Sauls added four markers. Norwayne (1-0 overall) will travel to Spring Creek on Thursday.