By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on November 24, 2009 1:47 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Shonice Pettaway scored a game-high 19 points and Greene Central pulled away in the fourth quarter for a 48-31, non-conference victory over Charles B. Aycock on Monday evening.
The Rams (1-1 overall) outscored the Golden Falcons 23-13 in the second half, including 15-4 in the fourth quarter.
Imari Howell led Aycock (0-1) with 11 points.
The Golden Falcons visit Hunt tonight.
Gators go down
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek could not overcome a frigid start from the field in a 45-23, non-conference loss to Midway at "The Swamp" on Monday.
The Gators tallied one first-quarter point as the Raiders opened up a 10-point lead.
Down 23-9 halftime, the Gators picked up the defensive intensity in the third quarter and pulled within eight points on a layup by Kaitlyn Casey. But Spring Creek (0-3 overall) could get no closer.
Amy Parker emerged the lone Gator in double figures with 10 points. Casey added six points and five rebounds.
Candace Fogg paced the Raiders' offense with 11 points.
Spring Creek entertains South Lenoir on Dec. 5.
* Boys' basketball -- Greene Central 46, C.B. Aycock 36 -- Tony Gardner and Jalen Williams each scored eight points for the Golden Falcons in their season-opening game.
* Boys' basketball: Mount Olive 46, Greenwood 45 -- Jartarvis Bradshaw and Tyiwon Johnson paced Mount Olive with 12 points apiece. Clayton Cashwell added 10 points to go along with his 11 rebounds in the victory. Mount Olive (2-1 overall) entertains Spring Creek on Dec. 2.
Other Local Sports
- Many blesses to be thankful for as writer
- 1-A football playoffs preview -- No. 1-ranked, unbeaten Mount Airy solid as granite
- Fisheries Division causes ire among conservation group
- 1-AA football playoff preview: Goldsboro's Reid respects Trask
- OUTDOORS -- Beauty is more than just a drake wood duck
- Golden Falcons pin Saints, Bruins
- Williamsons enjoying Dawgs success
- Goldsboro line has taken leadership role
- Local digest
- prep wrestling boxscores