Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 4, 2009 1:46 PM
SNOW HILL -- Zach Behrend remained unbeaten and Nick Quillen picked up his team-leading 12th individual victory during Rosewood's 75-6, non-conference thrashing of Greene Central on the wrestling mat Thursday evening.
Behrend logged a second-period fall over the Rams' Spencer McClung at 125 pounds. Quillen emerged one of six Eagle grapplers to collect a forfeit against short-handed Greene Central, which fell to 0-2 overall this season.
"We wanted to get Zach a match tonight since we couldn't practice yesterday (Wednesday), so we bumped him up from 115 pounds," said Rosewood head coach Bill Edmundson. "(Scott) Pate, (Luke) Davis and (Matt) Coley ... all seniors ... anchored the team with impressive pinning combinations."
Taylor McGill (189 pounds) and Jamie Wooten (215) each pinned their respective opponents. Chris Lane (103), Angel Jaramillo (112), Josh Pipkin (152), Jacob Roberts (160) and Adam McKane (171) each drew a forfeit.
The Eagles' Ryan Narron claimed a 14-10 decision over the Rams' Colin Gay at 145 pounds.
Heavyweight Mike Baker picked up Greene Central's lone win.
Rosewood (4-3 overall) returns to action today in a four-team, non-conference meet at Eastern Wayne. Matches begin at 6 p.m.
E. Wayne stopped
WILSON -- Megan Lafave emerged one of four Eastern Wayne grapplers to record a pin Thursday evening, but perennial power Hunt claimed a 47-30, non-conference dual-team victory.
Lafave pinned Hunt's Zach Williams in 1 minute, 42 seconds. Teammates Corbin Harris (130), Byron Washington (160) and heavyweight Zach Myers each logged a pin.
Austin Helms received a forfeit at 135.
Eastern Wayne (1-2 overall) plays host to a four-team meet today.
Ryals paces CBA
SNOW HILL -- Isaac Ryals poured in 21 points and Charles B. Aycock picked up a 67-53, non-conference win at Greene Central on Thursday night.
Ryals also grabbed five rebounds, five assists and three steals. Brandon Winford added 13 points and nine rebounds. Tyheim Pitt supplied 10 points. Earl Vann had seven points.
Malcolm Dawson led Greene Central with 20 points, and Kelsey Dixon contributed 10.
The Golden Falcons (3-1 overall) entertain Wilson Hunt on Tuesday night.
LEJEUNE -- Rosewood suffered a 44-28 defeat at Lejeune on Thursday night.
Jyhkia Applewhite scored 10 points for the Eagles, while teammate Cody Harris had six.
Rosewood (0-3 overall) entertains Midway tonight.
CALYPSO -- North Duplin never found a consistent offensive rhythm and dropped a 43-22, non-conference loss to Hobbton on Thursday evening.
The Rebels converted just six field goals and shot 32 percent (10 of 31) from the free throw line.
The Wildcats used a full-court press to force turnovers and build a 24-7, first-half lead. The visitors substituted freely throughout the second half as the advantage continued to swell.
Britney Evans led Hobbton with 10 points.
Tearra Ammons scored seven points for North Duplin. April Jones contributed six points and seven rebounds. Angelica Favela added five points and nine boards.
North Duplin (0-2 overall) entertains North Johnston on Monday.
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central held off Charles B. Aycock for a 47-40 victory on Thursday evening.
Shonice Pettaway supplied 15 points for the Rams, while Dominique Graham added 10.
Imari Howell and Ivy Hartzell each scored 10 points for the Golden Falcons. Courtnei Gilbert had nine points.
Aycock (1-3 overall) plays host to Wilson Hunt on Tuesday while Greene Central visits Ayden-Grifton tonight.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 53, Greene Central 49-- Jalen Williams scored 17 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for the Golden Falcons. Marques White provided 14 points and eight rebounds. Aycock (2-2 overall) plays host to Wilson Hunt on Tuesday.
* Boys' basketball: Mount Olive 59, Spring Creek 20 -- Jartarvis Bradshaw led Mount Olive with 23 points and Tyiwan Johnson added 11. Coy Barnett scored eight points for the Gators. Mount Olive (3-1 overall) plays host to Brogden next Thursday.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 48, Wayne Christian 16 -- The Chargers' Marlon Coley led all scorers with 25 points. Holden Edwards and Miller Gerrard chipped in seven and six points, respectively. WCDS entertains St. Mary's on Dec. 9.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 39, Brogden 9 -- Kwanika Artis scored a game-high 24 points for Norwayne and Kennedy Perkins had six. Nortwayne (3-0 overall) visits Dillard on Monday.
* Girls' basketball: Mount Olive 19, Spring Creek 14 -- Adrianna Herring paced the Mount Olive offense with eight points. Morgan Stancil emerged Spring Creek's top scorer with five points. The Gators (2-2 overall) visit Grantham on Monday.